• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gremlins

Euclid

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed coil spacers and an adjustable trackbar.
Afterward everything feels great but the steering wheel is no longer centered.
Also, when I turn the wheel all the way right - it maxes out too soon.
And when I turn it all the way left it seems to go too far.
The only steering item that I touched was the tie rod that connects to the passenger side knuckle which I put back just like I found it.

Any ideas where to check? Could the new lateral position of the diff from the new trackbar cause this problem?

Thanks!

Yep,you need to center the axle with the trackbar and re-center your steering wheel with the draglink!

Ahh, any decent write-ups out there on that? This is my first experience with steering systems.
Do you just eye-ball the axle to 'center' or are there better measurements to take?
Do it in the air or on the ground?

Last edited:
Your steering stabilizer might be what lets you turn too much in one direction and not enough in another. Mine has u-bolts that attach it to the drag link which allows for adjustment. To do mine you simply loosen the u-bolts and turn the wheel all the way to lock to the right and move the end of the steering stabilizer to where there's about an inch of shaft showing. Then you tighten the bolts and you are good to go. I have a link below of the brackets I use:

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RS-SSM&Category_Code=ste

Also here's a new steering stabilizer if you need one too:

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RS-317-UV&Category_Code=ste

Some (or lots) of the guys on here hate on Rusty's stuff, but I use them with few problems. Lots of companys make the bracket shown in the link above, so go with whoever you want. For your other issue... you need to adjust the trac-bar. You can measure how far your wheel sticks out on one side and compare it to how far it sticks out on the other using a reference points such as measuring the distance from the tire sidewalls to the fender flares on each side. When you lift your vehicle without adjusting the trac-bar your axle is pulled to one side a little usually. Good luck!

Back