• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocky Road 2"

chelms27

NAXJA Forum User
I just oredered the RR 2" boost with the 1/2" plate, and the 1 1/2" Shackle, I was just wondering if anyone has used it on here, I searched, but no luck? I am really excited, and I would love to hear any of your advise!! Oh, I picked up my Rubicon rims and tires today, they look sweet, and only rub when turning under load on the front plastic bumper pieces(1997). Thanks for all of the info about the rims. :)

I have been running the RR 2" boost now for over a year and have no complaints. Couple of things to note, you need longer axle u-bolts, hope you ordered 4 of them. You will likely want to remove the rear sway bar while installing the kit as the 1/2" blocks put the bar ends very close to the tire's inner side walls. Also, you will need new, longer spring pins (2). You can get them at any hardware store. Just get 5/16" allen head bolts, about 3" long. I also installed 2.5 degree axle shims to help restore the rear pinion angle (had a slight d/s rumble when decelerating on the interstate). And finally, you will need to plan on modifying your tail pipe. It will rub on the new shackle. Very easy to just cut it off and clamp on a new down pipe that's a couple of inches shorter. After over a year everything has held up extremely well, the quality is top notch. The ride is better than stock, and despite what many say, my leaf springs haven't sagged at all due to the shackles. When/if they ever do I'll just upgrade to HD springs.

I've got the Teraflex BB spacer/shackle lift and my springs are definately sagged, almost inverted. I had to put a 1" block in to level it out in with front. Other than that, I love it, minus the .5" block my kit sounds like the same thing. It is a little more tippy around some turns (atleast more than it was pre-lift). Im sure you'll be pleased,

Longer spring pins? I am not sure what they are, does it center the rear end on the leaves? Also, Rocky Road said the original u-joints will be long enough? I have about 1" extra thread on mine right now. Does the install come with good instructions? Thanks for the help:laugh2:

The spring pins are the bolts that hold the spring packs together when their not in the vehicle, and more importantly they center the leaf springs on the axle perches. The stockers will not be long enough with the 1/2" block added. Your original u-joints might be just long enough, but on mine there wasn't quite enough left over. If you've got an extra 1" then you'll probably be ok. As for instructions, I don't recall them being very thorough, but if you've got even moderate wrenching experience you should be fine. I did the entire job in about 4hrs, but I've been around Jeeps for a long time and have a shop full of tools and tricks. You should probably budget a weekend to be safe. An extra set of helpful hands never hurts either.

Items you'll likely need:
1) coil spring compressor
2) pipe cutter (for the tail pipe)
3) penetrating oil for crusty fasteners

I have worked on cars and trucks since I was very young, and my dad and grandfather where both mechanics. So, I have plenty of experience, mostly with hot rods, and full size chevy's! I have just never done a lift, and I just want to have as much info as possible, because I have to use a buddys shop because all of my tools are in Neb, and I am in Cali! Thanks so much for the info, I have been soaking my bolts everyday for over a week now, so I hope they come off smothly! While I am doing the lift, I am also making my own discos. So when I take my springs loose from the axle, they are going to come apart? How am I going to put the allen bolt in place of the other pin, if it is already there? Just trying to figure this last part out. Thanks for the help.:explosion

I had that exact kit and I loved it. I didn't need a spring compressor because I just unbolted my lower control arm and got the axle to drop down far enough IIRC. This is with 30" Revo's btw. \/ \/ \/

b9f6.jpg

It did pretty well on and off road. I kinda wish I left it that way lol.

4a70.jpg

I did have to modify my exhaust to come up a little higher before going back down below the bumper so it would clear the lower shackle bolt.

I highly advise that if the lift you purchased includes lift blocks that you dont use them. There are many ways to lift the rear in general other than using lift blocks which exaggerate tear and wear on rear leafs. For the rear you can use shackles and full length AAL.

good luck
pete

I don't really like the idea of lift blocks, It is only 1/2", but still I am not sure I want to use them. Thanks for the advise. Is there anyways I can cut the front 2" spacer to 1/2" shorter? I trimmed my fenders(which is I really like) and don't think a complete 2" will look that good with my MTR's on Rubicon rims.? Just my opinion, let me know what you all think!! Thanks NAXJA:)

Back