• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Tru Trac

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
so my 87's rear stock D44 is non posi and no locker either. :bawl:i want a Detraoit Tru Trac locker, but this thing is 99% street driven. it only sees offroad in Hunting season. is it true that a Tru Trac is a posi unit for the most part and not a locker? I dont really want a full locker, I would like a posi. And you cant beat Detroit. if i get it, will my tires chirp on tight turns in parking lots, etc. like a regualr locker or...... ive messeged some members on here about their Tru Tracs and im still a little uinclear. if i went offraod more, I would buy a full case Detroit or a lock right. Thanks,

As long as you keep your foot out of it, I don't think it will lock. But I could be wrong.....

Otherwise, live with the slight chirp.....

I don't have a full locker, but I do have a Trac-loc LSD in my 87 D44.

It's great for driving on the beach, and the occasional wheeling that I do.

You may want to see if a Trac-loc is still available for yours. Mine works great (now that I have changed the fluid and added LSD additive.) on and off road, no chirping of tires and just enough grip to get you out of a bad spot.

I would also go for a lunchbox locker (Just for peace of mind, knowing that it will fully lock instead of letting one spin....), but money is tight right now.....

The Tru-Trac is a gear driven LSD, and not a locker. Similar to the trac-loc in performance but without the friction clutches, so you don't need to use any friction modifier. I think it's a good choice for a mostly street driven rig.

I have one in the rear of my trail rig and love it. It will lock right up with just a little pressure on the brake pedal. It has held up to some beating. I have a Aussie in the front.

CaliGold said:
The Tru-Trac is a gear driven LSD, and not a locker. Similar to the trac-loc in performance but without the friction clutches, so you don't need to use any friction modifier. I think it's a good choice for a mostly street driven rig.

X2... i had one front & rear on my rig a couple of years ago. They do work well for what they are intended for, but understand its NOT a locker. You can get the thing to apply power to the slipping wheel by using the brake to transfer torque.
And It is virtually unnoticable on the street.

IXNAYXJ said:
It works better with smaller tires. 31" is ideal and 33's the max; if you go much higher it can't cope. I'm personally not a fan (of the Tru-Trac...I run dual Detroits), but for a heavily DD'd and lightly wheeled rig they're fine.

-----Matt-----

Im running a nice set of 235's, so it should work great. :)

Back