• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best ride lift setup for 33" tires

Daedalus454

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching the forums all afternoon here, reading a lot, and I still had a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for.

My XJ is currently riding on 3" of lift and 31s, I used an AAL in the rear so understandably it's stiff, which is fine as I bought the lift so I could see if I would enjoy rock crawling or not. The XJ is my DD, and I want to make it as smooth and comfortable as possible. I would also like to lift it a bit more to allow me to run 33" tires with a little trimming so I don't customize my rig again the next time I run Calico.

So based on my scouring of the forum, here is what I came up with as an "ideal" setup for a comfy riding DD XJ with lift:
- 4.5" full leaf packs
- 1" - 1.5" extended shackles
- Relocate shackle mounts for proper angle
- 4.5" coils, add spacers to level
- Long arms or at least drop brackets
- Good shocks, like Bilstein 5125s/5150s or OME LTs all around

What I haven't been able to find, is how important the spring rate and spring brand is to the comfort level. My searches on the forum indicated that RE has some of the highest spring rates around, yet they are generally praised as riding smoother that softer springs such as Rustys or Rough Country. Can someone help me to understand this?

I am somewhat bewildered at the vast price range that leaf springs can be had for, from ~$250 for Rough Country, to ~$410 for DPG Trailgunners, to ~$700 for Deavers. Some advice would be appreciated, how much do I need to spend to get a good ride and some longevity?

Also critiques and constructive criticism of my "ideal setup" are welcome.

I have the 4.5 inch rustys coils in the front and IMO they ride great. In the rear I have Pro comp springs and they are a rougher ride. I have also ridden in some peoples jeeps that have RE coils and they seem to ride pretty good also, I am happy with my Rustys coils and plan to keep them unless I lift more. If you are looking around for 5.5 inch coils RE would probably be your best bet.

I have been told that RE springs have the stiffer spring rates so if you have a winch, heavy bumper, big O tire on the back with a Safari rack, air tank and air compressor for lockers... ect... the RE will keep the lifted value better. I have heard of people getting the RE springs, not liking them because they are stiff, getting a new heavy bumper and then loving the RE springs. I found a pair of Junk yard RE 3.5" springs and I like them, they ride just as well as my Stock ones. I have the OME long shocks all around. I have no idea how many miles were on the springs but they have my front lifted at 21" from fender flair to center cap.

If you’re going for shackles I would suggest going with the Revolver shackles:
http://www.jeepin.com/features/revolvers/index.asp
It sounds like on his write up that they would provide a better ride because you are less likely to have a vertical shackle, which also to my understanding give a rougher ride.

If don’t mind cutting your fenders I have seen people running 33” on a 4.5” lift with no rubbing.

Also you are going to need a SYE and a new rear drive shaft with that large of a lift. I would look at RE 5.5 Long Arm lift kit. Has most of everything you need excluding the drive shaft and the SYE.
http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=388

I have almost the exact lift you described.

4.5" RE Leaves
4.5" RE Coils
1.5" RE Boomerang Shackles
2" RE Coil Spacers
RE Drop Brackets
RE HD Adjustable Trackbar and mount
Set of 4 PORC shocks for $129 shipped =) (Had Bilsteins and didn't think they were all that grand)

I'm more than happy with my spring rates in the RE springs. They flex great off road and handle well on road. Can I feel every bump? Yep! Do I give a crap? Nope! I can drive the highway comfortably at 80 mph, I can corner at fairly high rates of speed, and while I can feel a lot of the bumps, particularly at lower speeds, it's not enough to be problematic for me. Of course I tend to prefer more of a Sport suspension over a Luxury suspension in any car.

Magus2727 said:
If you’re going for shackles I would suggest going with the Revolver shackles:

For GOD sake...................NO..............Bad idea!!!!!!!!:puke: Revolvers ARE crap!!

please go into detail. I am not refuting your claim, I have no Idea if they are crap or not. The only thing I am going off of is from the Jeepin.com web site, which from what i have read reviews on and acutaly installed on my own rig is close to being true.

SanDiegoXJ said:
I have almost the exact lift you described.

4.5" RE Leaves
4.5" RE Coils
1.5" RE Boomerang Shackles
2" RE Coil Spacers
RE Drop Brackets
RE HD Adjustable Trackbar and mount
Set of 4 PORC shocks for $129 shipped =) (Had Bilsteins and didn't think they were all that grand)

I'm more than happy with my spring rates in the RE springs. They flex great off road and handle well on road. Can I feel every bump? Yep! Do I give a crap? Nope! I can drive the highway comfortably at 80 mph, I can corner at fairly high rates of speed, and while I can feel a lot of the bumps, particularly at lower speeds, it's not enough to be problematic for me. Of course I tend to prefer more of a Sport suspension over a Luxury suspension in any car.

Where did you find those shocks shipped for 129.? Im looking for shocks

RE 4.5" coils
RE 3.5" springs + extended shackle
HD Trackbar and Brace
Drop Brackets
- so far that sounds like an RE6130 (modified), just like the one I'm running.

33x10.50 is a good match at this height, but you need the righ rims with it too. I'm currently running 15x7rims with 4" backspace but still need to trim a bit of wheelwell because I'm rubbing. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/myjeep.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

As far as long arms kits go, I've been nothing but happy with the Clayton's kit. I have the 6.5", they make a 4.5" also.

http://www.claytonoffroad.com/index... List&l=make!model!modelEx&p=Jeep!Cherokee!XJ

The arms are beefy as Hell, can't imagine ever bending or breaking one, and the crossmember replacement they mount to runs parallel and below the front driveshaft, acting as a sort of breakover-skid to protect the driveline should you high-center on a rock shelf or log crossing. The lift sits as advertised, and it rides nearly as well on the street as the stock suspension did. Just a fantastic kit, tons of flex, well-made, and worth every penny. You're going to pay high-dollar for almost any longarm kit, but IMO the Clayton's kit is money very well spent.

Back