• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gapping spark plugs to .065...

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
So I have had the FirePower ignition kit found over at quadratec.com on my 97 XJ for almost 2 years now and when I bought it it said with the new coil that I can run it now with the spark plugs gapped to .065. What would the benefit be of doing this? Would I see any improvements like power and/or gas mileage? I guess I should also include that I have the K&N full cold air intake kit, Banks Power header, 99+ intake manifold, Heddman 3" in 3" out high flow catalytic converter, 3" in 2.5" dual out Flowmaster 50 series goin out to custom dual exhaust (I know no real power benefits from dual exhaust I did it for looks).

Im running the same ignition system and I opened up the gap on my plugs. Seems to run fine with the wider gap but I doubt there is any performance increase. If there is, its not enough to write home about. The engine did run smoother and seemed to have more power after I installed the FirePower and new plugs but I think that was only because my old plugs and ignition had nearly 100000 on them. I probably wouldve seen the same results with any new, high quality, ignition parts.

Yah when I put it on mine the plugs weren't that old so there was no need to replace them but the engine did smooth out some. I was mostly wanting to see if gas mileage improved cuz mine sucks right now I average 11.2 around town and about 15 on the highway

I installed NGK Iridiums with a stock gap and it was day and night difference.

One thing to consider before going to a combination of high energy coil and larger gap is the size and condition of you cap and rotor. I converted my old tired 89 YJ (4.2l) to ha high energy coil and opened the gap with great results, but I used the Ford adapter and the bigger Ford cap and rotor to ensure there was no cross fire. I don't think the XJ uses the same distributor as the YJ, I'm not sure if the adapter, cap and rotor would fit. The next best option is just to make sure the cap and rotor are new and good quality.

If he's talking about the same FirePower kit that I have, it comes with a new high quality cap and rotor as well as wires and the coil and I dont know about the YJ but the TJ kit is the same as an XJ kit. I got two kits at the same time, one for my 96 XJ and one for my wifes 99 TJ. The only difference was that I had to order a coil adapter plug for the TJ because its a 99 (they changed the plug for 99 and I think 00).
I had the same results on the TJ as the XJ. Both run smoother and started faster but that may have been because I put in new parts.

Back