• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie in the front and open in back?

Camo-5

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry. Waaaayyyyyy too many locker threads to sort through to see if this question has been asked / answered so I'm gonna ask it again. Sorry if it's been asked before.

In my opinion, Aussie lockers are the best option for a DD. With that said, I want one in my D30 and 8.25 (29 spline :mad: ). Would I be crazy to throw an Aussie in the front and leave the rear open for awhile? Most of my offroading is sandy hills and trails in northern MI. No rocks or deep mud. I know the XJ is very capable offroad open on both ends, so I can't see how this would hurt. Opinions please!!

As long as your front end is built strong enough to handle a locker with your tire size, go for it.

You find a lot of people run locked in the front and open in the rear, even some of the competition guys.

I will be running a 3.5" RE lift, (+1.5" lift shackles rear and .75" front) and 31" MTRs.

I run an Aussie front on 33s, HPD30 w/4.88s and stock TJ shafts, no issues yet. I do have a rear Detriot helping out, but no problems with the front.

imo a locker in the back tends to help a lot more than in the front. im running arb's front and rear, and i use the rear way more often. (my rear is an 8.8 so i trust beating on it more than a d30 also). but my buddy that wheels with me put an ox locker in his front with an open rear, and he had so much more trouble than i did with just my rear locked.

I love my locker up front, I'm still open in the rear. I wouldn't say it's better in the front that in the rear, but it works pretty darn well for me. Hp30, 297x's, 4.88's, lockright, 34" LTB's.

Just do it. I ran that way for about a year and a half and loved it. Depending on where you wheel the front locker is more important than the rear.

Ray

yeah you should be fine. i might put an aussie in the front on mine, but then i'd be lunchbox locked front and rear and i'm worried about turning in snow.

as said above, depends a lot of how/where you drive.
I wanted to stay away from locking the rear as with the amount of winter snow we have up here and the hiway driving I do, I wanted an open or selectable rear.
my aussie up front has worked fantastic for me for over 2 years now. I have a 242 and some say its a waste to have the Aussie with that t-case, but I don't use 4x4 on the road anyway, just adds confidence which tends to get people in trouble anyway.

go for it, you won't be dissapointed.

I have an aussie in front and open rear. it is a good idea to upgrade axles at the same time as a locker install, alloy usa or similar. i run 35" tires and have a d30 front with no problems. i will be welding my 8.25 27 spline soon as an experament to see how long it lasts (i have an 8.8 ready to go in).

Did YOU see the 400 page long thread about the 29 spline 8.25 aussie locker? :D

Running a similar setup, Aussie locked D30/open 8.25(29spl) rear.

Wheeled it twice now and it feels unstoppable on the trails I see here in Iowa.

team510 said:
imo a locker in the back tends to help a lot more than in the front. im running arb's front and rear, and i use the rear way more often. (my rear is an 8.8 so i trust beating on it more than a d30 also). but my buddy that wheels with me put an ox locker in his front with an open rear, and he had so much more trouble than i did with just my rear locked.

I agree that locking the rear will perform better, but that is just my opinion lots of people think locking the front is better. I run ARB's in both and my experience is the rear does more of the work, especially when climbing.

ill be running a WELDED front in my dana 44 with 37s.

just wheel carefully and it will be fine, upgrade your shafts and keep stock ujoints...those are easier to change on the trail unless you have a bunch of spare shafts.

Lincoln.

Because $250 for an Aussie is just too much money.

ouch.

Back