• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear question

fscrig75

NAXJA Forum User
I want to rebuild my axles and I'm piecing together the parts alittle bit at a time.

Rusty's has Motive gears(4.56) for the Dana30 going for $50. Are these pretty good? I know the price is.

Also this is probably dumb but... As long as the ratios are the same you can use gears from different manufacturers. (true or false)?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know much about the Motives...which might be a clue anyway. For a Dana axle, recommendation 'round these parts often goes like this: (your mileage may vary):

Spicer
Superior
Yukon
US gear
then

Precision
Richmond
Sierra
Value Gear
Genuwhine

Can you mix manufacturers? As long as the ring+pinion are from the same set, and both ratios are within about 2% of each other you're fine. Don't try to use a Spicer pinion and Yukon ring gear, of course...

Ratios that are off by 1/100th are fine; expect to see 4.55 on one end and 4.56 on the other. That's fine, but 4.10 and 4.56 are not a good match in 4wd.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Thanks. Yea I haven't been able to find much out about Motive, there is one post with 1 comment.

I'm trying to put 4.56 in the front and rear, just trying to keep costs low, but I don't want to put something cheap in there and then have to change it.
Or buy the wrong stuff, I still learning.

Last edited:
you might want to double check that they are indeed the reverse rotation gears for the D30, that is if you have the HP D30. I think I recall that the gears from Rusty's that were so cheap were not a fit for XJ's for some reason...but I have been wrong before :D

Guess I'll just have to give them a call and ask.
I don't know if they are always that cheap, they are listed in their clearence section.

I checked their clearance page and it did not have any details. I remember seeing something about those gears a while back on their old style website.

Thanks for the help guys. I checked in Rusty's other section for those gears and there aren't any, so who knows.
For some of the other Ring & Pinons offered for the 30, in the description it says reverse cut, is that the reverse rotation gears you were referring to?

Some thirtys are HP and some are standard rotation. Make sure yours is the right one and then call and see if those gears are for what you need.

P.S. I have Yukons in the front and Genuine G2s in the rear and I can't tell a difference yet. I do have a little more piece of mind in my Yukons, but that's just cause of their name and reputation. It's a big investment, so 100 bucks front and rear might be worth it in the long run. It's your call I guess.

fscrig75 said:
Thanks for the help guys. I checked in Rusty's other section for those gears and there aren't any, so who knows.
For some of the other Ring & Pinons offered for the 30, in the description it says reverse cut, is that the reverse rotation gears you were referring to?

Yes, reverse cut is for a High Pinion a.k.a reverse rotation setup. What year is your jeep?

I've got a '99.

From everything I read in the FAQs, I've got a HP Dana 30 w/ the reverse rotation non-disco.

some 99's were HP, some were LP. crawl under and check. i don't know when the cutoff point was for HP though.

hmmmm, lol i get so close to understand this then a wrench gets thrown in ha ha.

I'm away from home right now and won't be back for 7 months so I guess I'll have to wait till then.

If its a HP then its a reverse rotation, and if its LP then its standard?

I have a set of Motive gears on order from a local drive train shop in San Diego. The shop has been in business for over 25 years and is considered very reputable. They told me that they have been supplying Motive gears to all the local auto dealers and auto repair shops for several years now, and have not had any problems with them. They also sell Dana\Spicer gears but have had problems getting stock lately.

I decided to try the Motive, but $50 is a lot better price that I am paying. I can’t seem to find that price on Rusty’s site. Do you have a link?

Gary

the link above will take you there.

there is no info listed for them though.

I looked on Motive's site, and then on their ratio chart,
http://www.motivegear.com/images/art/chart/chart.pdf,
and according to the legend it says the 4.56 are reverse cut, are good for a TJ. is the 30 on a TJ the same as a XJ?

Also this may be dumb as well but, Is the 8.25 a reverse cut, or is that only done on front axles?

I'm deployed, so making a phone call isn't very easy, does anyone know if Rusty's has a email address? The only thing I could find are phone numbers.

Last edited:
the D30 in aTJ is different then what you have in your 99XJ. The 8.25 is not a reverse cut, it is standard rotation. You are correct that it is only done of front axles. (that I am aware of)

not sure of a number for Rusty

All the D30's are std rotation,XJ's thru 99 use "reverse cut" gears.TJ's and 2000-01 use "short pinion" gears,CJ's use std gears!

Back