• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Transmission shifting at 4000RPM under WOT

xjjk

NAXJA Forum User
Can't get it to hit redline. I don't know if this is a new issue or not, because the knock sensor was bad and I wasn't able to rev up much at all. Now that I'm paying attention, I'm wondering- what's the likely culprit? TV cable or TPS or both?
I've adjusted TPS (basic, not checking the full range of the throttle) a couple months ago and it seemed perkier for awhile.
Anything else I should be looking at?

I have a H.O. motor, so I'm not sure if yours is similar to mine. I took off the inake hose to the throttle body and depressed the trottle lever to see if it opened the trottle all the way. Of course it didn't, so I adjusted the throttle cable according to the book and was good to go after that.

Duh. Good suggestion! I forgot all my old skool skills when I got this FI beasty. I'll take a look, thanks!

Same thing was happening to mine. I replaced TPS and shift points went back to normal. The TCU part of the TPS was bad I guess.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Same thing was happening to mine. I replaced TPS and shift points went back to normal. The TCU part of the TPS was bad I guess.
shifting before redline?

about 4,500rpms it would shift. I tried cleaning grounds cleaning every sensor and wire harness. I adjusted the TPS over and over. Still high shift. I went to Advanced and picked one up for a little over 55 bucks. So far it's shifting great.

Thanks. I don't look forward to spending hours and hours tracking down gremlins. This site is da bomb! :peace:

Back