• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vac lines

78/xj88

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to Gerr i got my MAP today and put in on and saw this

Somethings missing i think ? Right under that big hole is a vacuum connection should some kind of line be on there ...........

5.jpg

4.jpg

AND then there is this mess. I dont know to much but that cant be good......

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Shes a 88 4.0
Any input will be appreciated thanks
I will be looking at the haynes........it may help.... cant hurt

Last edited:
The blob of plastic crap was the EGR transducer. It's installed inline of the EGR, vaccum block and EGR solenoid valve. The side that you capped (in the first pic) goes to the EGR valves nipple, the one plainly visible pointing torwards the winshield.

I have a blank spot in my vaccuum block that you do, but I don't think thats the one. From the transducer, it goes back through that block, then to a EGR solenoid mounted on the driver fender then back to the block I think.

I don't know if you can get the transducer as a seperate part, my new EGR came with one though..

You can leave it alone and keep it plugged if you have no emissions testing in your state I guess.

Edit: on the bottom of the transducer, where all that plastic was is another nipple that goes to another vac line that I think attaches to the bottom of the EGR valve.

that blank spot has vacuum and just sucks air. i cant find any thing that would have fallen off . I did not plug that hose it was like that .

I don't have hoses in those blank spots on my 89 or 90. I wonder if something was there at one point? I don't have a haynes yet.

Something has to go there it is sucking air in like crazy. I been looking @ a fsm on a link i found not helping when i dont know what im doing . As for the haynes it ok good for the $10 i paid for it.
The jeep idles like crap still after all new tune up sensors filter seafoamed it has to be that damn vacuum port but i see nothing but that melted crap with a damn golf tee in it !!! Mabey i should just stick one in it and see what it does? :banghead:

Anyone please help i know i must be over looking something or am i just a retard........

find a small bolt and plug it up for now untill you find out what really belongs there. At least your idle may drop and you can drive it normally again.

Ya thats what i will do, its not my DD but i work only 8 min from home so i do drive it to work mostly for now. Rear main is next...... thats no big deal its this vacuum that has me stumped. thanks for the advise

Trying to get it trail ready by summer to take my boy on some good rides and not get side lined by a sensor or a vacuum line. She does great in the mud holes but trail riding i have no clue. I want to be ready.

I know how you feel i have same problems here trying to get her ready for a lift and tires. :/

The only thing i found that looks like it needs a place to go is that golf tee end but i dont think it goes there cause it starts out on the other side of that block. ??

okay the line that is plugged should be led into one of those holes on the tower the small one under the big hole closest to you when you open the hood. that then leads under around your airbox to a vacuum on your right fender. I'm pretty sure thats how mine is set up I just found the EGR valve today.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
okay the line that is plugged should be led into one of those holes on the tower the small one under the big hole closest to you when you open the hood. that then leads under around your airbox to a vacuum on your right fender. I'm pretty sure thats how mine is set up I just found the EGR valve today.

yes thats right same on mine on . Now the one that is on the driver side right under the big hole is the one that has a vacuum and just sucking air. I will keep on searching.....

What port are you referring to? There are no connections that simply "suck air". If it has a hose on one side, it goes to another on the other side. Check the vacuum diagram link and make sure everything else is connected or plugged off.

Saudade said:
What port are you referring to? There are no connections that simply "suck air". If it has a hose on one side, it goes to another on the other side. Check the vacuum diagram link and make sure everything else is connected or plugged off.

That one right there its just like yours it has suction pretty good suction. Yours dont ? Mine looks just like your picture. Just alot more oil and dirt on mine.
4-1.jpg

78/xj88 said:
That one right there its just like yours it has suction pretty good suction. Yours dont ? Mine looks just like your picture. Just alot more oil and dirt on mine.
4-1.jpg

My 90 doesnt have anything there either.
I was thinking though... it looks like it could possibly go through to the other side... Is there something connected to the other side? The PO may have plugged something in there and didnt know any better.

If not, the only other thing i can think of is that there is an internal leak in that joint causing vacuum to suck through that hole. The only way to fix would be to pull apart each half and see if you can find the leak. Or just replace them... thats probably a good idea anyway.

Back