• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case making aweful noise?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

ive got a friend with a cherokee and were trying to get it ready to do some wheeling this summer and the only problem were having is with the t-case. other then that its a perfect wheeling rig so were trying to get this straight. it worked fine for a few months, then all of a sudden he went to put it in 4wd one day, and it makes a grinding/slapping noise. ive installed a couple SYEs before in the 231, so i know my way around that t-case fairly well, but before i pull it apart i want to have a general idea of what im looking for

at first i thought it was a loose chain rubbing the case, and then slapping. but then i thought about it, and it ONLY does it in 4hi/low. but then i got to wondering. does the chain always spin, or only in 4wd. what are some other parts that become engaged in 4wd that could make this noise?

thanks

Drive chain!

Back