• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinion on Boggers

Not a good tire for a DD, very loud. Otherwise I have seen them not perform very well in the rocks, sand and mud are good though.

Next question, do you have the axles to support a tire of that size? Remember that those are really heavy tires.

-Alex

ltbs nor boggers would fare well on a dd, unless you pick up a set of street tires. Unfortunately there are no ltbs in that size range yet either.

as mentioned above, mud and sand they are good, but SUCK ballz for a DD. I had them on my old TJ and put about 100 road miles on them before I decided to get a second set of road tires. They did alright on rocks, but I dont have alot of "major" rocks or rock crawling around my parts. Also as mentioned above, if you dont have the axles to support a tire of that size and weight, there are better options out there. My $.02

It also takes some horsepower to run them. They won't spin easy in mud so if you get in some thick nasty shit...you need the nuts to spin them.

I wheeled a friend of mines stock geared 4 cylinder 4 runner. Locked on both ends with 34x13.50(IIRC) boggers. WOW first of all it sounded like one of those big bomber planes with 4 prop motors on the highway LOL loud low drone. They did OK in the rocks, hard on the old 22RE in the mud lots of clutch dumping. Biggest thing was they steered like shit with a locker in the front, any kind of tight trail at all you had to be in 2 hi(tough with that motor combo) to make it turn, they have no side traction at all. Just my .02.

IROKs

I have got a set of 31 boggers on my rig and would have nothing else for the mud and trails that i have around here. Have not been disappointed with them yet.

I am like everyone else though, make sure you have big enough axles cause even the 31's i have are heavy. I couldn't imagine how much a 36 or 37 would be.

And if you run a lot of mud, stay away from the iroks. They do ok but not as good as a tsl or ltb. Plus they don't wear to good on the street.

4LowandGo said:
36's or 37's on drag slicks will break stock axels on the trail. Especially if you have a Dana 35 in the rear.
#1 i am not running 36 or 37 foot tires and #2 they are not drag slicks so I should be ok!!

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
I was going to go with baja claws but they say they run small in their sizes.
make some tire suggestions?

Pretty much everyone has made suggestions. The best one made so far is to upgrade your axles if you want to run a 36 or 37.

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
#1 i am not running 36 or 37 foot tires and #2 they are not drag slicks so I should be ok!!

Don't get mad. I'm not hating on you. ' = foot and " = inch

I've exploded stock axles in dirt with open carriers front and rear and 33" tires. I couldn't imagine running any tire that's 36" or 37" on stock axles and especially not with a set of Boggers.

Do what you want, because it's your rig. :eeks1:

i have a set of 33" boggers and those things are heavy as hell. i had a hard time putting them on my axle. but they kick ass in mud. i haven't gotten stuck with them yet. i've put about 4,000 miles on mine and it's a DD. you can hear em coming from a mile away. i would stay away from them unless you're a hardcore wheeler.

I've ran both 33" and 35" Boggers in the past, I would not run them again. The street noise and handling are horrid, the lateral traction is lousy (a grooving iron can help here, but involves extra work/expense) but the biggest thing I hated about them is their lack of easily spinning on the trail. There are lots of times, hill and rock climbs especially, when you want a controlled spin out of the tires to scramble up and over an obstacle. With the Boggers, they bite too hard on every revolution, making a tirespin rock scramble a bouncy, broken parts affair. They also "push" worse than any other tire I've ever run, good luck trying to negotiate tight downhill turns on a muddy trail in the woods. I kissed a lot of trees and had to re-pick my line way too often.

If you want an aggressive bias-ply mud tire, the TSL, SX, or LTB are a better overall choice. The only thing I'd run a Bogger on would be a fullsize midwest mudder where deep mud pits were the wheeling of choice.

Back