• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FUBAR LEAF SPRING QUESTION PLS HELP!

blotto66

NAXJA Forum User
I have been installing a RE lift on my jeep for way too long now. The nut on the inside of the frame rail went POP when i was installing the new leaf.

now the bolt wont tighten or loosen. I think i broke the weld that holds the nut to the frame.
47b8da39b3127cce98548a97611000000027100SatmjduyYg

I am not sure where to go from here. There is enugh room to get a sawsall in there, but i am not sure what to do when i get the new spring back out. Sugestions???

Thanks.

Zac

ps i tryed Cursing, drinking beer and more cursing..... it is still stuck.

Yep, pretty common. The nut is spot welded to that inner pocket and if the threads on the bolt get crusty, it usually breaks the spot welds and just spins.

Most use a dremel and cut an access hole on the bottom of the frame rail below where the nut is behind the pocket and put a wrench on it.

I had the same thing, but the weld was not broken. what happend was the inner sleve of the bushing "welded" to the bolt so once the treads came out of the nut, it stoped backing out. If you 100% sure that its out of the nut you can cut the bolt off. Or there is a gap in the metal sleve I heated the bolt up to be charry red and then put a screw driver in the notch to help keep the sleve from spining and turned the nut out. that was the longest part of my install.

What do people think or have aginst cutting were the red lines are? It alows for three sides to stay welded along with access to the bottom to put a new nut in or to put a wrench on it.

47b8da39b3127cce98548a97611000000027100SatmjduyYg.jpg

Edit: should that be re-welded for strength?

Magus2727 said:
I had the same thing, but the weld was not broken. what happend was the inner sleve of the bushing "welded" to the bolt so once the treads came out of the nut, it stoped backing out. If you 100% sure that its out of the nut you can cut the bolt off. Or there is a gap in the metal sleve I heated the bolt up to be charry red and then put a screw driver in the notch to help keep the sleve from spining and turned the nut out. that was the longest part of my install.
You're talking about taking the bolt out.

He's talking about putting the bolt back in.

Yellaheep hit the nail on the head, even though we are talking about bolts here.....

do i cut the hole where the red or yellow mark is?

47b8da39b3127cce98548a95611200000027100SatmjduyYg

I cut mine were the red is. You want to cut enough to be able to fit an open end wrench in there.There is a write up on here with pictures, that is very helpful. Try searching, you might get lucky and find it

the red.. there is more backing between the red and the yellow. you would have to cut into that also to get to the nut.

JEONLYEP said:
You're talking about taking the bolt out.

He's talking about putting the bolt back in.

Yellaheep hit the nail on the head, even though we are talking about bolts here.....

yea, i am sure it is not welded to the collar, that hapend taking the old springs off. this happend when i was putting the new spring in.

99xjclassic said:
I cut mine were the red is.
There is a write up on here with pictures, that is very helpful. Try searching, you might get lucky and find it

I searched for a hour prior to posting this thread.

but ill keep trying.

any sugestions on search words to find it?

I did find this pic on the forum, it is a bit rough, but is this the general idea?
000_0934.jpg

also what is the best tool for the job? i want to get the new leaf pack out with out damaging it.

Holly Crap he tore the junk out of that.

I would say an angle grinder. thats what I used (even though is says its not a cut of wheel) get a big wheel so you can get below with out worrying about the spring, and then have some one hold the spring up or get a jack under it so it lifts it all the way up so you can go at an angle like on the picture that I posted with the red lines. thats were I cut and it gave plenty of room to get in and out with a new nut and a wrench to hold it on.

If I had my Jeep with me at work I would get you a pic but I have my other car.

That's a bit much. You don't have to cut that much.

Just cut directly below the nud and bolt in the pocket until you can fit the correct size box end wrench in the slot. You'll be golden by then.

Back