• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wing window removal?

From memory:
Lower window & remove inner door panel.
Remove 2 screws from the upper door frame.
Remove 1 bolt from the window track down by the speaker.
Pull window to the rear & finesse it out of the door.
HTH. JIM.

It helps a lot to remove the outer trim (the piece that holds the wiper on the outside of the window), so that you can get the tab at the bottom of the track through without bending anything. That trim is held on by little raised tabs that grip the flange of the door panel. Pull it off carefully to avoid distortion, and when done, just push it back on.

The only problem you might run into is that the lower spar (the forward window track) may be rivetted to the door panel instead of bolted. Solve this problem with a 1/4" drill bit, and replace with 1/4"-20 bolts and nuts (use Nylon collar nuts, or some other self-locking nut. Don't bother with lockwashers - I never have liked those.) The use of CRES (stainless) hardware is advised, since you won't be able to check them on a regular basis.

It will be easier to remove the wing glass with the main window rolled down - you will then unscrew the forward screws, unsecure the forward window track, then tip the glass toward the rear of the door and you should be able to lift it out then. Install the solid glass the same way, tilt it forward to original orientation, and make sure you have the main window glass in the track. Roll the window back up (gets it out of your way) and then secure the front window track with the 1/4" screws (if you drilled rivets) or the screws you removed (if screws were used OEM.)

If you're removing the vent window to replace it with a new one (which is likely the case due to a loose locking lever) the easiest way I found was to remove the phillips head screw that holds the window to the little hinge at the top front. Then tilt it in slightly and lift straight up, that's what I did when I replaced mine and it saved me a ton of time instead of having to finagle the new window and frame in place.

If you're removing the vent window to replace it with a new one (which is likely the case due to a loose locking lever) the easiest way I found was to remove the phillips head screw that holds the window to the little hinge at the top front. Then tilt it in slightly and lift straight up, that's what I did when I replaced mine and it saved me a ton of time instead of having to finagle the new window and frame in place.
I think that that is only possible if the bottom pivot is broken (which often happens).

Back