• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge + Jeep = ?

Akers87

NAXJA Forum User
so sometime this summer i am going to hopefully buy a locker and get it installed- in the rear. trouble is, i really dont want to put itin the stock dana 35. are any of you running dodge axles? i just want to beef up the under belly a bit, figured a would also use a dodge transfer case. can all of this be done with a relative amount of ease, as i dont have the best tools at hand in the world.

Dodge axles? Which axles exactly are you referring to? Also there probably are easier swaps if you look harder. Are you looking for full width or stock width?

get a ford 8.8 you'll go through a lot less bs than trying to get a dodge rear end under plus you keep the same bp

Akers87 said:
what kind of ford could i find that axle under. is it something that i might find at a pick-n-pull? and what is "bp"?

Ford Explorer with a solid rear axle, which is the 8.8.

Only grab 1 with disk brakes.......Do not get one with drum brakes
(96-99 I think)

Last edited:
Akers87 said:
what kind of ford could i find that axle under. is it something that i might find at a pick-n-pull? and what is "bp"?

bolt pattern ie you can use the same wheels

You could also look for a 87-88 XJ d44 or a post 96 c8.25 both of which will be stronger then your d35 and will bolt right up.

By Dodge axles do you mean Dana axles? that's mostly what Dodge has used.

Dodge is using AAM, not Dana, at least on the trucks. Lockers weren't even available for them until lately.

It'll be years longer before enough of them have been modded, abused, and trusted before we know much about them. Ford 8.8 is currently the best deal, if you can find a compatible rear ratio - matching the front ratio is important, not many of us want to run with no front driveshaft because the ratios aren't even close.

why not a corp 8.25 with 29 spline from a 97? and up xj. locker choices are limited, but detroit makes a locker for it plus the axle is a direct bolt-on, no mods to the spring perches like the 8.8?

Back