• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I swap in this gas tank and skid?

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
Mine is a '86 2.5L w/TBI. The doner is from a '88 4.0L, w/skid plate. I can get both for $40, but I'd hate to get them home and find out they won't fit/work.

If the tanks will swap, would the fuel pump in the '88 work? I have heard that mine runs at lower pressures the the MPI engines.

Thanks

BTW, I've searched, and will thoroghly inspect the tank for leaks/rust before buying.

Just checked my frame rails, and there are no threaded nutzerts to attach a skid plate to; only a couple drilled holes.... any ideas? There's obviously no access to within the hollow frame rail to place a large nut.

Also, is there a way to ensure that I'm getting the 21 gallon tank?

CameronB said:
Just checked my frame rails, and there are no threaded nutzerts to attach a skid plate to; only a couple drilled holes.... any ideas? There's obviously no access to within the hollow frame rail to place a large nut.

Also, is there a way to ensure that I'm getting the 21 gallon tank?

Get the nut strips that go inside the "frame rails" to mount the skid.

You won't get a 21 gal. tank. They are either 13.5 or 20. Not sure about the swap you are trying to make. I have a 20 gal. from an 89 2.5L & it looks identical to the one in my 4.0L 96. The fuel pump mounting on the inside may be different though. JIM.

pumps are different between the two, but as long as you change the entire sending unit you should be ok. The nut strip for the skid can be removed from the rear of the vehicle after removal of the bumper and brackets.

Does your gas tank need to be replaced? If you don't need a "new" one I wouldn't go there. But, I would replace the fuel lines and filter, if they are old they tend to spring leaks when disturbed.
The skid will work fine once you have the nutserts. You may need to change the exhaust hanger with the skid.

OK, I'll be sure to get those nutsert strips. The reason I'm swapping is because mine is a 13.5 gal and has a large dent in it. So a 20 gal tank would be a great upgrade, as well as the skid.

Thanks

Chilton's is telling me that all cherokees up to '88 had the 13.5 gallon tanks, and then they went up to the 20 gallon size in '90.
Also, it says that the fuel pump pressure for the 2.5 is 14-15psi, while the 4.0 was 31, up until 1991 whern they all became rated at apx 40psi. So I passed on buying this '88 tank and pump.

I assume that if I need to swap my 2.5 fuel pump to a 20 gal 4.0 tank, it would fit internally, correct?

I wouldn't believe everything in the Chilton's manual. The info I have found here is the 13.5 was standard with the 20 an option. I have a 20 gal. tank from an 89 2.5L. I have no idea if the pump will fit. JIM.

So here's the latest.
I was able to compare a newer 20 gal tank to an 1987 13.5 gal tank, side by side, with fuel pumps removed. They look identical externally, but when you look inside, the metal vent line (that runs into the tank beside the filler line) exits much lower in the 13.5 gal tank, limitting capacity. That was the only difference that I could tell. I don't know why they ever limitted capacity in the first place..... what a waste.

Chiltons says that through 88, all xj tanks were 13.5 gal, but who knows.

CameronB said:
So here's the latest.
I was able to compare a newer 20 gal tank to an 1987 13.5 gal tank, side by side, with fuel pumps removed. They look identical externally, but when you look inside, the metal vent line (that runs into the tank beside the filler line) exits much lower in the 13.5 gal tank, limitting capacity. That was the only difference that I could tell. I don't know why they ever limitted capacity in the first place..... what a waste.

Reroute or clip that vent line and magically gain capacity...

Chilton's isn't much as far as reliable tech info.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

The internal vent line is steel, and fixed in place. Perhaps you could cut it shorter through the fuel pump hole with a mini hacksaw... I don't know. And It didn't look re-routable.
At least Chiltons was right on this particular 1987 xj, because I almost bought it from the guy. But he also had a newer xj tank that we could compare it to, and I ended up buying the newer tank.

Yucca,
so I took your idea and ended up using a flexible fuel hose from within one of my old 2.5 gallon plastic fuel cans. You know, that clear tubing with an accordian-like flexible neck? If fit quite well over the steel vent line, and I used about 9" of an old car antenna within the tubing, bent upwards in the shape I wanted. This keeps it apx 1.5" from the top of the tank, with no chance of future sagging.
In your writeup, you discussed the possibility of expansion in the tank. Well, aren't those two plugs on top of the tank some kind of vents? They've got the small vacuum type tubing coming out of them, and probably lead up to the evap canister; but I haven't verified that. Well those sit a bit lower than the actual top of the tank, and I attempted to set my new vent location just below them. Otherwise, I would think that liquid fuel may be sent up to that evap canister during expansion.

Anyhow, thanks for the idea. Time to try this out.

I'd love to take credit for those ideas, but that credit goes to GoJeep - he's posted plenty of great ideas for his Cherokees over the years and thankfully consolidated them onto his website. PM Gojeep if there are any questions about the tank size.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

CameronB said:
So here's the latest.

Along that line.....
I put a 20 gallon tank in my 89 (new) along with new fuel pump/sender combo. Now, the gauge reads full OK, and is accurate down to 1/2 tank. At that point, the needle goes wacky and pegs at the 3:00 position, beyond "F".

What's the deal?

Back