• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to buy axle shafts

Mstrkage

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to buy stock YJ axles to upgrade my d30 with the cad to the larger u-joints. My problem is I can't find just plain stock axles for sale anywhere online and my local parts store doesn't sell the shafts.
Anyone know a good site where I can buy plain, not fancy axle shafts for a d30 with the cad and the larger u-joints?

Funny you should bring this up, just looking around myself. Sometimes they appear on Craigslist or the forsale section of this and other Jeep sites.

1. Iron Rock Offroad. Don't know anyting about them other than their site. Even the local 4x4 junk yard wants $100 per side for D30 shafts so 259.99 + shipping might not be such a bad deal. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-XDAXL

2. Crown automotive.
They sell stock Jeep parts through a dealer network. Here's the MO page:
http://www.crownautomotive.net/dealers.html#m

Here's the Axle page. The axle assemblies are item #25. The 97-01 model with the ABS ring should have the larger u-joint. No idea on the price though but it's probably comparable to the site above.

http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/XJ/axleXJ30F_2.html

Kind of pricy for a u-joint upgrade though, you'd be better off checking the local junk yards.

Edit: Just realized you are asking for YJ axle shafts. Crown should sell those if that's what you've got, not sure about the Iron Rock shafts. Aren't XJ and TJ the same but YJ something different? Sorry, not sure about the compatibility with YJ.

Edit2: crown lists the same part number for YJ and XJ for at least some of the years. fwiw.

Last edited:
Im having the same problem! I had an 88 now I only have my 85 and I want to get rid of the CV shafts in the 85. I went to the local parts place and all they have is the CV shafts. I asked about the 88 shafts and they tried to give me the CV shafts forit and it didn't even come with them. Quadratec is not much help either.

The biggest reason I wanna keep my cad is because I want a aussie in the front and want to keep the axle selectable for the street, plus with a homemade posi-lock I can have 2 lo

that iron rock setup isnt a bad deal. i think i found my new front shafts.

YJs are disconnect axles, and most used the 260x joints. Just something to think about. TJs use the larger 297x joints and non-disconnect shafts.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
YJs are disconnect axles, and most used the 260x joints. Just something to think about. TJs use the larger 297x joints and non-disconnect shafts.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
The yj disconnect axles used the larger U-Joint in 95 (with ABS).
If you are wanting larger joints and the Disconnect axle, That's the only way I know of doing it.

jrowell said:
The yj disconnect axles used the larger U-Joint in 95 (with ABS).
If you are wanting larger joints and the Disconnect axle, That's the only way I know of doing it.
Right. And since YJs were produced 87-95, and not all 95s had ABS...most YJ D30s have the smaller 260 u-joints.

TJs and 95.5+ XJs use the larger 297 joints. For that matter, with regard to XJs:
  • Dana 30 axles with the NP231, 1987 through 1991 are vacuum disconnect
  • NP242 Selec-Trac will not have the disconnect
  • All 1992+ are non-disconnect
  • All 84-88 D30s have 5-260x u-joints (1 1/16" diameter caps)
  • 1989-95 non-ABS have 5-260x u-joints
  • 1989-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints (1 3/16" diameter caps)
  • All 1995 1/2+ have 5-297x u-joints
  • 5-297x u-joints can be replaced with the stronger 5-760x u-joint

Edited to add: Interesting...never noticed that my signature will show when I'm in "preview post" mode. :shrug:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

4741033, 4874307 are the part numbers I show for the bigger joint and the disconnect axle the intermediate shaft is the same as the stock xj one and so is the sleeve.

I use this exact setup on my 89 YJ with a posilock actuator and detroit, it is sweet.

Back