• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle question

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
i am trying to figure out how to pull the rear shafts on my roommate's Jeep its a 1997 D35 with an ARB locker. can anyone help me out with the quick ness

Did you remove the c-clips from inside the carrier?

Edit: didn't see that there is an ARB for the carrier, can't really help you there.

shouldn't matter should it? if its a c-clip axle it has to have c-clips no matter what.

its just a 27-spline with an arb. the dumbass didn't buy the super 35 kit. sooooo....... here we are asking this question

You still have to take out the c-clips.
ARB's still have spider gears like a regular open or ls carrier, there is just a mechanism that slides over and locks the spiders together.

If you'll turn the ARB, you will see a 'window' in the side. Look in the window, you should see a cross pin, the spider gears, and the very ends of the axle shafts.
1.Remove the cross pin completly
2. Push the axle shafts toward one another to close the gap
3.Twist the shafts until you can access and remove the c-clips
4. You should be able to figure it out from there

I'll see if I can find some pics

we can't get the cross pin out because the retaining pins are broke off and one is stripped

that sucks. :dunno:

yeah pretty much we have no clue how to get them out

Call ARB and see if they have any insight for you.

IDK but if you can get a drill bit to the stripped/btoken parts, you may be able to drill them flush and get the cross pin out that way.

edit; for what reason are you removing the shafts?

bradow said:
Call ARB and see if they have any insight for you.

IDK but if you can get a drill bit to the stripped/btoken parts, you may be able to drill them flush and get the cross pin out that way.

edit; for what reason are you removing the shafts?

ummmmm.... the axle needs rebuilt. it kind of had a nuclear metdown of sorts:explosion

You had a nuclear meltdown, i thought this was for your 'roommate'? hehe

Sounds to me like its time to upgrade, it should go something like this

you: Hey roommate, lets take this rebuild money and go to the junkyard and see if we cant find a good replacement 8.25 or 8.8 instead.

roommate: Sounds good to me!

you: Oh and lets sell this entire Dana 35 and locker as a package to the next loser.. I mean 'nice guy' who can use it as an upgrade to his dana 35, after he takes it to a driveline shop to have the locker removed. We can use that money to go towards new gears for our new axle.

roommate: Sound even better, and hey thanks for helping me out with this buddy.

you: No problem, glad I could help.

Your ad should look like this;
For Sale:
Dana 35 with ARB air locker and 4.56 gears already installed!!! This is the 27 spline version so it will fit your current housing with no other major upgrades. Use the shafts you already have!! This dana 35 has had some hard use and is in need of a rebuild but the locker has held up great. Just have a professional installer set up the parts in your new housing and your ready to go!!! This it the deal you've been waiting for, our loss is your gain. These ARB lockers can cost over $800 new, and you'll need to buy gears on top of that, but you get the whole package for just $XXX!!! Call XXX-XXX-XXXX. This deal is listed locally as well as other internet sites. It wont last long, DON'T DELAY-CALL NOW!!!

I have the chrysler 8.25 29 spline thank god. he has a D35 on a wrangler. I told him to buy a rubicon and throw some 33s on it but noooo he bought a 97 and put 37s on a Dana 35. he is not too bright when it comes to listening to people and researching

Its in a TJ? Well there's your problem!

So its a TJ, with a fully locked, 27 spline, dana 35, rolling on 37" tires. Any other pertinent information?

I say sell the whole thing, buy a bunch of XJ's, have him keep a few for himself, give the rest as gifts.

Sorry dude, I got nothin, but I wish you guys the best of luck.

thanks man we are gonna need it cuz this thing is f***** up

Back