• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which shocks for RE 4.5" lift kit

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
This kit does not include shocks so I need some advice as far as what shocks to buy. Rancho? Eldbrock? Skyjacker? RE? Bilstein?

Ride quality is my primary concern

thanks guys

I hear the OME's and the RE monotubes are the best for ride quality. My XJ came with Rusty's shocks and they ride way too stiff, probably going to upgrade to one of these.

Are they setup specifically for XJs? I know valving is not adjustable on them, but if they are bilstein why cant I just order directly from them?

where are you getting your lift from that it is not coming with shocks?

anywho... I run N35L and N36L OME's with my RE 4.5", and they are fine but I think I like the RE Monotubes better

i run bilstein 5100's in the front with 4.5" lift on short arms. problem is the control arm angle at 4.5" of lift with short arms. i had skyjacker nito shocks and they were too firm.

benulis55 said:
Are they setup specifically for XJs? I know valving is not adjustable on them, but if they are bilstein why cant I just order directly from them?

Yes, Bilstein make these specifically for each vehicle, XJ, etc,
I ordered a full leaf 3.5 front, 4.5 rear kit from RE and then asked them to supply the correct mono shocks.
You can also check them out on their site catalogue, the kits are divided by vehicle.
Hope this helps.

I bought the Doetch Tech shock kit with my RE 3.5(actually 4.5) kit. They were awful!! Wasted money. I switched to OMEs specifically made for the Cherokee, ordered the long travel ones, and am absolutely amazed and satisfied! The ride and handling changed drastically. I highly recommend them. I bought mine from 4x4 Group Buy. No experince with Bilstiens personally. The OMEs are low pressure nitro charged - Bilstiens are high pressure nitro charged. I chose low pressure because I wheel the MidWest, IE usually slow, crawl, mud, and lots of on road. If I was running out west with lots of relatively high speed desert/washboard, I would probably go with the Bilsteins. Make sense? Good luck. Jim

Back