• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning starts:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
crd_engine1.jpg

crd_engine2.jpg

crd_engine3.jpg

crd_engine4.jpg

crd_engine5.jpg

What engine be that? :)

is it a diesel?

I believe it's a 2.2 ecotec

Its some kind of deisel, look at the turbo and the intake maifold that has the intake from the intercooler should be. I'm not sure what one it is though. I can't wait to see the build-up on this one!

doesn't look diesel to me?

4b_cummins39.gif

4bt Cummins...

Well if the pics info are correct its maybe a CRD (http://75.71.126.87/crd_engine/crd_engine1.jpg) out of a Libby maybe or a Grand?

Should be a fun little project. Good luck.

beakie said:
Well if the pics info are correct its maybe a CRD (http://75.71.126.87/crd_engine/crd_engine1.jpg) out of a Libby maybe or a Grand?

Should be a fun little project. Good luck.

See, you find all sorts of information by looking at the url.
(also, this cannot possibly be the CRD engine of out a grand as those use the bluetec diesel which is a 3L V6 with the turbo mounted between the "V")

Yes its a diesel VM2.5 engine for a KJ with a NV3550 bellhousing.

Its funny, because I got this engine yesterday, and exactly one year ago today my CRD libby was delivered:
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/images/libby/libertyrepair.html

Funny how that timing works out, this engine will be an XJ/MJ project, not sure which yet.

This particular engine is the VM2.5(R2516.Kx) which was used on the 02-04KJ CRD with the 5 speed, couple of things of note on it are that it uses the bosch CP3 IP, but lacks the gear driven lift pump of the 05+ CRDs. This also has a wastegated turbo, rather than the VGT/VNT of the 05+ CRDs, it also lacks the FCV that the 05+ has and has a different EGR setup than the US CRDs.

Last edited:
More pics:

Sir Sam said:
If you haven't figured it out already, I take ALOT of pictures, in fact, my camera will shortly be breaking the 20,000 mark for photos taken.

So today since I'm home sick I decided to go out and check this engine out, after pulling the MAP and the turbo downpipe I can see that this sucker is clean, there is a very slight hint of dirt on the map, and a very slight hint of soot right around in the impeller blades of the turbo housing, but barely any.

If it was ever run it was not run for very long, do you think VM would have done a test setup and run it to verify it was good before shipping it out?

Turbo downpipe:
crd_engine51.jpg

Manual boost control, boost releases at a preset spring rate, no electric solenoid for control, no VGT turbo. Should make upping the boost and/or installing a larger turbo easyer.
crd_engine52.jpg

Turbo housing is cleeaaannn:
crd_engine53.jpg

This is what the end of my finger looked like after running it around inside the dirtiest part right around the blades.
crd_engine54.jpg

Boost sensor is clean, that grease you see is for sealing it to the intake.
crd_engine55.jpg

crd_engine56.jpg

crd_engine57.jpg

crd_engine58.jpg

crd_engine59.jpg

Engine alley in my garage.
crd_engine60.jpg

An in progress post of me figuring out what some of the odd'n'ends are.

Sir Sam said:
Solved:
AC pressure switch sense:
crd_engine36.jpg

Power harness to fuse box harness:
crd_engine37.jpg

Engine ground:
crd_engine39.jpg

Engine ground again:
crd_engine40.jpg

This broken bugger appears to connect to a crank position sensor:(90% sure on this one, so its in the solved catagory)
crd_engine43.jpg

This other connector looks like the oil pressure sensor(located under the turbo):(90% sure on this one, so its in the solved catagory)
crd_engine44.jpg

The crank sensor:
crd_engine45.jpg

Now these two plugs are labeled with bosch on the connector, one is almost certainly the ECU plug, but the other? If it were a RHD harness it might be for the trans controller, but this harness also should be for a MT, which is also indicated by the lack of a complex harness running back to the transmission.
Both are ECU plugs:
crd_engine49.jpg

Since supposedly this harness is for a MT I think these two connectors might be for manual trans:
Gotta be for reverse switch and speedo pickup right?
crd_engine42.jpg

Partially solved:

Now these plugs come out right by the filter head, the large plug is surely the plug for the throttle input, however the two smaller plugs I cannot make out, as far as I can tell the older KJs did not have a temp sensor or heater plug in the filter head, Uffe or other EUR/AUS guys have any thoughts?
So the large plug for sure is for the APP, and the two smaller ones seem to be for the WIF and heater.....question is, which is which?
crd_engine50.jpg

Another ground looking cable, coming off the neg batt terminal, along with a very heavy guage wire, the plug is very similar to the glow plug harness plug, anyone tell on theirs where it plugs in? (glow plug controller/relay?)
So tony, is this part my fingers are touching is just hooked up to a relay?
crd_engine41.jpg

Now all these plugs are over on the right(passenger-US drive) side of the engine bay, the large main connectors tie into the cabin harnesses, but this small 2 wire connector doesn't seem to connect to anything on the engine, anyone see something similar on theirs?

I think coolant level sensor, tony says......
crd_engine46.jpg

this is where it comes out of the loom:
crd_engine47.jpg

Complete unknowns:

I have zero clue what this connect could go two, there are no sensors on the engine where this could possibly plugin, and the sensor plug that is relatively close to it on the loom is labeled "engine coolant" and plugs into a sensor on the head which is surely the coolant temp sensor. The only thing that has come into my head is that it might be a WIF sensor that plugs into the bottom of a filter, can anyone see where their WIF connector runs into the loom?
Ok, so its not WIF, I can't find anything for it to bolt to, so I have about zero clue what it is.
crd_engine38.jpg

Gotta be MAF connector, Uffe or others with older KJs I believe yours was different from ours, so I think yours should look like this:
Ok, you guys dont have a MAF connector, so we dont know what this sucker is yet:
crd_engine48.jpg

Back