• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full hydro stearing?

COXJ

NAXJA Member #989
anyone have any coments on it? any info? figureing it would be a good way to get past any weird stearing isues with a triangulated front susp when i do it and ya dont rip your stearing boax off. just kinda curious

WIll

If you go to the Pirate board and run a search on the user name "Station" you will find a ton of info on it. Any time it gets brought up his name will get brought up. The guy knows his stuff when it comes to Full Hydro steering, you just have to wade through lots of posts but well worth it

yes.

I FINALLY got the light bulb to go off!

I figured out the math that helps you figure out how to pair your cylinder and your orbital valve so you can have the number of turns lock-to-lock you desire! Its not hard, you just have to sit down and decide to figure it out.......

I'd be moe than happy to help.

the math to figure out how a BALANCED ram will "behave" (thats a double ended/double acting ram) is easier than a single ended double acting ram......

most folks are running a single ended ram....you have a static mounting point, and your ram......an 8" stroke works for most jeep applications. Be advised that some/most single ended (common) rams will move in different rates wether you are turning left or right.......its kinda why a balanced ram is much nicer, but it carries a little bit extra of a price.....

this is a new topic for me, and I'm very green and learning.....I wouldn't mind trying to learn more by helping you design your set-up

what were you thinking?

What I have found out is that single sided rams will not retain left to right tun ratio's if that is what you want to call it when you turn one direction it is not always the same amount of turns of the wheel the other direction to get it back to where it was. I have been talking to this station guy alot and he will break down all the pro's and con's in terms that are easy to understand. I am still figuring out how I want to do mine but definatly know I will be going with the 2 sided ram.

http://www.factorytubular.com/

good sight for all the materal they sell howe wich is sposda be the stuff for hydro stearing they even have a custom all hydro box there. WMS is suposda build custom systems for ya bu pricy. but has orbital valves to retain your auto centering feture we all love in out systems we have now. im finding info on it slowly but surley. there is an article in an old petersons on this for a yota i believe if any one has it. any way back to the info highway to lurded me sum stuff.

WIll

I heard from some fellow wheelers that going full hydro isnt that good. if god forbid something happens you will loose your steering. Isnt going assist better? If it was a daily driver would assist be recommended especially with bigger tires?

or am I talking out of my a$$?:D

fill me in please

These are common misconceptions, so YES you're talking out of your ass. :)

Before I decided to do a 3link + TB I was going to do a triangulated 3 link similar to Beez. I thoroughly researched hydraulic steering and found the following:

New orbital valves work with the motor off, they pump fluid both ways even with no power.

New orbital valves are self centering, another common misconception.

New orbital valves have feedback so you can 'feel' when you are turning into something or up against an obstacle.

If you have a good pump (this is the key) and you're system is not surging the steering will be way better than stock power assist. With the properly matched cylinder you will have the same movement as stock, easy steering in the rocks & stable highway 'safe' drivability.

The ONLY down side I found to hydraulic steering was that if you smash the ram beyond trail repair you are SCREWED. You'll have to rebuild/replace the ram and it's mounting where it sits. This was my main reason for keeping the trackbar. Some of the trails I run on would require a heli-lift to get the damn Heep out of if I destroyed the ram & wasn't able to repair or replace it. And I dont think you need to pay HOWE or any other name brand price for a good system, you just need to do the homework. :D

You can buy a one sided ram from your local tractor store for about 60 bucks, cheap enough to carry a spare....

my buddy rosco just did this on this TJ works very well. btw the ram, orbital valve and misc hydro lines and fittings he has less than 500 bucks in his hydro steering...

also fyi, the napa in moab is the only place in town to have hydrolok lines made up/replaced/rebuilt, they've got the account, and they are inexpensive and fast...

mac 'definately full hydro in my future one day' gyvr

Yeah, you can go single sided ram (like my ram assist). But for full hydraulic it's more stable at speed with a dual acting cylinder.

Back