• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust install question

chrisja77

NAXJA Forum User
Ordered my exhaust today. Went with the Dynomax cat back system. Can't wait to get it installed and see how it sounds. Got a ? for ya though. The kit comes with clamps to install it with, but I am gonna go get it welded up for good measure once it's on. I was talking to someone about welding it up after I get it in, and they said I didn't need to. I could get some brazing rods and braze the pipes together once I got it clamped down good and tight. Said they used to do it on their mustangs all the time? Anyone hear of this, and will it hold up? The guy swears by it....said one time he was out of brazing rods and used a clothes hanger to seal it all up....
shrug2.gif
Sounds like some McGyver sh
censored.gif
to me...
lol.gif

Brazing uses a brass or bronze silicone rod and the rod is melted by using a oxy-acetylene torch or a tig torch and is basically a metal glue. The tailpipe isn't melted, only the rod. If he used a coat hanger (cheap steel) then he welded the two together, both the tailpipe and the rod were melted. Welding would be the strongest but the brazing would work ok on a tailpipe.

k, thanks for the reply. I'll probably still go get it welded up after install, just had never heard of brazing your tailpipe together. Was wondering if this was anywhere in the "norm"...lol

Back