• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my Shim in Wrong? Pictures...

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
I raised up my rig to 6 inches. I put in shims and put the thick, fat end facing forward or front and the wedge, skin skinny end facing the rear or back. i have a onix ada sye installed in my t-case. I aslo had a good angle at 4.5 inches..here are the pictures....
Untitled-1copy.jpg

diff.jpg

wedge2.jpg

vanity.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-7/1269938/wedge2.jpg

Please help......did i screw up?

Thanks

Cipey

it depends on which way you want your pinion to go, up or down.

as stated by evryone, in your case it looks like you want your pinion to up so you need the fat part facing the rear. pinion should be parallel(or 1 degree below parallel) to the driveshaft with a sye

They're intended design is for the fat end to the rear.... I'm assuming that by your install, and your question, you may not even have the correct degree shim? Actually the angle doesn't look like it will need a shim based on the anlge and considering your shim now is backwards. Have you tried it without a shim?

How did you come the conclusion that you needed a degree shim in the first place? To make a long story short. turn the shim around and go buy yourself an angle finder at Lowes.

Throw it on your drive shaft and note the angle....Then place the angle finder on the Diff. the best place is on the back side next to the diff cover. You have two holes and a flat surface, place it there and note the angle again. Take the difference between the two angles (driveshaft and Diff) you want 2 degrees difference. Meaning the driveshaft and the Diff should be 2 degrees lower in order to compensate for any axle wrap. I would do all this before you take the shim and turn it around. If your findings are that your off by 8* and you have a 6* shim in there then just remove the shim and run it without.....Make sense?

NIce Jeep by the way! You look like you have it just the way you like it

Last edited:
98XJROKS said:
They're intended design is for the fat end to the rear.... I'm assuming that by your install, and your question, you may not even have the correct degree shim? Actually the angle doesn't look like it will need a shim based on the anlge and considering your shim now is backwards. Have you tried it without a shim?

How did you come the conclusion that you needed a degree shim in the first place? To make a long story short. turn the shim around and go buy yourself an angle finder at Lowes.

Throw it on your drive shaft and note the angle....Then place the angle finder on the Diff. the best place is on the back side next to the diff cover. You have two holes and a flat surface, place it there and note the angle again. Take the difference between the two angles (driveshaft and Diff) you want 2 degrees difference. Meaning the driveshaft and the Diff should be 2 degrees lower in order to compensate for any axle wrap. I would do all this before you take the shim and turn it around. If your findings are that your off by 8* and you have a 6* shim in there then just remove the shim and run it without.....Make sense?

NIce Jeep by the way! You look like you have it just the way you like it

yes! it makes sense! the shim was because when it was lower it was off, but i could live with it. i didn't want to cut everything off and reweld because i will have to pay to have it done and a shim is a much cheaper way to do it and it doesn't comprimise safety..if i did, well i would have to cut 'em off.

i certainly did not want to drop my tcase.

thanks to all for the help!

Cipey

btw, nice lookin jeep!

98XJROKS said:

You mean the diff should be 2* lower than the driveshaft...right??? To compensate for axle wrap, I would think that's how it should be. I've yet to have to deal with shims so I'm unsure but diff lower than driveshaft makes sense since when axle wrap occurs, the pinion is rotated up.

FAT ASS= Thick part Back. Thats how I remeber it.:roflmao:

Ok...bringing this back up to hopefully take care of the last bit of vibes that I have.

I've got some 4* shims that i've been meaning to put on to help the vibes i'm getting from 30-35. I'm going to lowes in just a bit to grab a angle finder and see how far off the angles are.

To verify, when I have both the angle from the DS and the angle from the differential, I want the differential to be 2* lower than the driveshaft correct? (and this is with no SYE).

UNCC_99XJ said:
Ok...bringing this back up to hopefully take care of the last bit of vibes that I have.

I've got some 4* shims that i've been meaning to put on to help the vibes i'm getting from 30-35. I'm going to lowes in just a bit to grab a angle finder and see how far off the angles are.

To verify, when I have both the angle from the DS and the angle from the differential, I want the differential to be 2* lower than the driveshaft correct? (and this is with no SYE).
No,since you dont have a SYE,you need the pinion to be the same angle as the transfer case output shaft.You still may need to compensate for axle wrap though!

RCP Phx said:
No,since you dont have a SYE,you need the pinion to be the same angle as the transfer case output shaft.You still may need to compensate for axle wrap though!

Good to know. I've been driving it for a year with a 1" tcase drop on and these minimal vibes (about 90% highway travel) and haven't had any ill side effects. Stupid, I know.

As for axle wrap, to my knowledge, I haven't had any problems with it.

Back