• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange front end vibration

jimcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
if you're just going to go "there's a search engine" then don't bother posting because i'll just ignore it-this problem has gotten pretty complex and it's full of alot of variables that i really can't fit into a search. that being said:

just put on new hubs, just got my shit aligned, just had tires balanced/rotated. i've got a weird vibration in the front end when i turn the steering wheel, even the slightest bit. it's pretty pronounced when i'm going fast (highway speeds i haven't driven it much yet just a test spin on i-81). any ideas? i've done all of those checks on the tires for play. also i've got a small pop inside of my jeep when i turn sometimes, it's on the inside on the steering column, if that means anything, it's new and i doubt if it's anything but i'm throwing it in also. also my front d/s is pulled right now because of a bad ujoint, i doubt this has anything to do with it either but i'm tryin' to throw it all out.

can anyone offer any insight? if not i'm just gonna have to take it to a shop and have someone figure out what's going on.

just to clarify this is a really weird vibration, it's not really violent but as i said, pronounced. i didn't feel it until after i did my hubs, and i'm thinking this is probably because the vibes from bad hubs covered it up. i'm really hoping this doesn't mean new steering box.
thanks in advance for the help.

I had a real crappy vibration on mine also. It was also a bad u joint that came on at 50 mph and just about massage the poop right out of me...lol

I had almost all the same issues you are describing with a simple 26 dollar u joint. I replaced it and the passenger side spindle and the vibration is now gone. Just my expierence... Hal

I had the same thing. Check to make sure your axle shaft U-joints are in good shape and not blown apart like mine were. Also check the unibody condition on the other side of the steering box, mine was cracked there.

ah! good call, very good call! yeah i replaced the drivers side ujoint recently but i havn't to the passenger side, and it could have gotten kind of dicked up during the extraction of the old hub assembly, where i used some unorthox methods to break it free. i'll definetly replace it and see where that takes me i guess. i'll also check out the unibody, although if it was messed up i probably would have noticed, or if not me then the shops that alligned and balanced my jeep. thanks for the help, more ideas are certainly welcome though haha

Back