• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 common problems

deezyperformance

NAXJA Forum User
Been out of the loop for awhile but looking to get another xj there's an 87 close by with a d44 and 145K. Anything I should look for in an 87, my 89 has been great with 195k. Bad part it's on a big car lot asking $1900 but looks to be in excellent shape, almost to nice to wheel.

i say offer him 1500cash out the door and take it! I have n 89. Just look at the obvious. Look at the oil, tires, leaking fluids, ninja riged stuff in the engine bay. With a dana 44 rear end that would be a steal and a great platform to start with.

deezyperformance said:
Been out of the loop for awhile but looking to get another xj there's an 87 close by with a d44 and 145K. Anything I should look for in an 87, my 89 has been great with 195k. Bad part it's on a big car lot asking $1900 but looks to be in excellent shape, almost to nice to wheel.
I don't know if it's worth it for $1900, but that does sound like a pretty nice Jeep. I would say look at the C101 connector on the firewall to see if it looks too nasty and if it's a manual, check the fusebox to see if the slave leaked all over it. Otherwise there's really nothing specific to that year to watch out for, just give it all a good looking over and if it looks good to you, get it.

projectTK said:
i say offer him 1500cash out the door and take it! I have n 89. Just look at the obvious. Look at the oil, tires, leaking fluids, ninja riged stuff in the engine bay. With a dana 44 rear end that would be a steal and a great platform to start with.

i wouldn't necessarily call it a "steal". the D44 is worth give or take about $300, and maybe between $500-1000 for the rest.

keep $1,500 divided up over several different pockets, or let a friend hold it, and pull out $1,300 cash and offer it to the guy. chance are he'll take it. if you play your cards right. point out some problems with the jeep, flash him with the cash, and stay firm, you should be able to take it for $1,000-$1,300.

Yeah, show him something like $1200 cash and tell him that's all it's worth. I wouldn't pay more than about $1000-1200 for it myself. I mean yeah it has a D44 but it's still 21 years old. I can find 87s all day long around here for 600-1200 in running condition. Heck, my friend just picked up a 94 Country with a bad t-case for $400! It does have a few very minor things about it but nothing mechanical.

Oh, and I paid $650 for my '87 Laredo in perfect running condition...rear main was a little leaky but not even to the point of leaving anymore than a few drops on the ground.

Umm, I'm not sure what the third member is but I'll assume the middle diff section. How much should I be worried? If I buy this is it an easy fix? Please
help

looks like gear oil is coming out around the tube. its plain as day. Its either that or you have a brake line leaking right above it and its dripping onto it. but you definitely have fluid leaking... thats what the dirt is sticking to.

Mine has TONS of wet dirt stuck to it, despite the fact that I have no leaks....

If you get enough road grime on there, it will look wet and sticky.....

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have it checked though.....

A slow leak here and there I expected with 145,000 if buy this it will alot of muddy water so it will get checked often. Like I said i'm pretty green, when I heard axletube coming out I have images of half the axle laying on the trail in the middle of nowhere.

hehe, if you clean the housing off and look at the spot welds you'll know if that tube is loose or not. it just looks like an odd spot for gear oil to be leaking out.

Drove the cherokee finally drives great exept for the loose steering but isn't really moving on price ,yet. on the other hand went and looked at a 87 waggy that had been that was about as clean as thay come with the motor rebuilt at 150K, then I drove it, vibrates like crazy and disconnect problems among a few other things. Plus he wants to sell it with and 89 that doesn't run with 325K and a wood rear bumper, 2100 for both with a new set of unmounted wranglers. the search continues">">">">

Last edited:
Back