• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aux fuse box

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
Im hooking up an aux fuse box and the instructions say to connect the pink wire from the aux fuse box to one of the fuses in the factory fuse box. The instructions also says to connect the wire to a fuse that is only hot when the ignition is in the on position. I have a couple questions. The factory fuse box would be the one in the engine compartment not the one in the cabin on the passenger side. Secondly i cant seem to find one that is only hot in the on position.

Any ideas... ill take a better look tommorow.

5-90 said:
What year, and what are you planning on hooking up to the fuse panel? It may be easier to pull a signal off of an ignition switch lead, and use it to trigger a relay to feet the auxilary fuse panel...

5-90

Currently im hooking up a CB. In the future ill be connecting an OBA and some lights. My Jeeps a 2000.

5-90 said:
I see. What's the total ampacity of your fuse box? Also, what current will your accessories require? Just the OBA and CB might be exceeding that, which is why I ask.

5-90

Are you asking about the total ampacity of the aux fuse box? If so the instructions say that all the wires are rated at 20 amps. Does that help, im not to sure about the size of the current the accessoreis will require. Ill check. Also the aux fuse box is from Painless and its a 7 circuit.

Painless? Do you have the part number? I can look it up from that...

Yes, what I'm referring to is the TOTAL CAPACITY of the fuse box, on all circuits taken together. From most that I've seen, that tends to run about 20-30A (which will tell me what size relay you'll want, and let you know just how much you can plug into it.)

I'm inclined to tink the CB will want 5-10A or so (that seems to be fairly typical for low-power setups,) and the OBA will be dependent upon the system you're using. It remains a very valid question tho - and it will govern just how you hook things up.

Another critical factor is this: do you want to be able to use them without keys?

5-90

5-90 said:
Painless? Do you have the part number? I can look it up from that...

Yes, what I'm referring to is the TOTAL CAPACITY of the fuse box, on all circuits taken together. From most that I've seen, that tends to run about 20-30A (which will tell me what size relay you'll want, and let you know just how much you can plug into it.)

I'm inclined to tink the CB will want 5-10A or so (that seems to be fairly typical for low-power setups,) and the OBA will be dependent upon the system you're using. It remains a very valid question tho - and it will govern just how you hook things up.

Another critical factor is this: do you want to be able to use them without
keys?
5-90

The Painless part number is 70107 found here if you scroll down https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/sto...atalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=20007
The fuse box contains four slots that have power when on the ignition is on and three that are hot all the time. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
I installed an extra box under the hood of of my XJ, ran the power directly to the battery have my lights and cb hooked to it.
lights009.jpg

Back