• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic engine shutdown???

Jump This

Just another minion!
I was driving down the road....minding my own.....when suddenly....my Jeep just quits....dead cold.....
I pulled over to the side and popped the hood.
Gotta' be a fuse...sure enough that damn 'autoshutdown' fuse blew again.
No biggie, just replace it and on my way I go.....
NOT this time. Install fuse, turn key and POP! goes the fuse. Try again, same thing.
Hmmmmmmm
Disconnect the coil ( 96 model year) and POP again. (fuse didn't make any noise, just saying POP for dramatic effect)
WTF?
I don't have a FSM so I don't know what this fuses purpose in life is (although I'm begining to think its there just to piss me off!)
Any suggestions?
Hadto have the pile towed 75 mi. back to my house...now it sits in front of the garage until I can figure this one out....:gonnablow
Rick R

Put the fuse back in so you can pull codes, and that might tell you what else went wrong. In my case, the O2 sensor bracket came loose, allowing the loom to melt on the header. Also check the wires on the one by the cat.

The ASD relay may have gone bad also.Try a switch with one of the other relays to check it out.
Wayne

Rick,

I believe the ASD circuit supplies power for the injectors and for spark. I would check for shorts in the wiring.

Kyung

Test equipment? All I got is a simple cont. tester and my eyes!
Oh, BTW...just found it.
The insullation at the number one injector was, well...gone. It looked as if the wires could be touching, so I cut back the shrink wrap and pulled the wires further apart, replaced the fuse and viola!
Started right up....
ON further inspection it looks like most of the wire at the connectors are starting to show.
What if I seperate the wires and use black sylicone as an insullator?
I'm not thinking there is enough room to resolder the ends, and replacing all the wire might be a bitch...but maybe inevitable....damn...
Well, at least it runs now!
Thanks for the help.
Rick R

I don't think hot glue would stay put, given the underhood temps. Go crap a can of the liquid electrical tape. Plain silicone is considered corrosive as it give off acetic acid as it cures (that nasty vinegar smell). The GE Silicone II is supposed to give off alcohol instead. Most of the gasket forming stuff like permatex is fine.

I guess the desert heat makes you lazy huh Rick?:peace: :roflmao:
Just go find a harness from a junker that you could chop the injector connectors from leaving as much wire as possible and solder and heat shrink.

Kyung

PS- Easy compared to what Cal has to deal with.:cry:

heat shrink wrap. No not Reynold s wrap either. :)

Poor cal has electrical nightmare.

corbinafly said:
I guess the desert heat makes you lazy huh Rick?:peace: :roflmao:
Just go find a harness from a junker that you could chop the injector connectors from leaving as much wire as possible and solder and heat shrink.

Kyung

PS- Easy compared to what Cal has to deal with.:cry:

Find a junker? :D
Say, where is the next OC meet and greet? :wave1:

Thanks for the help all!
Rick R

had simmilar problem on mine, got new injector connectors from fiveomotorsport and replaced connector and first 6 inches if wire (connectors already have 6 in pigtail on em.

Back