• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD to 4WD. What works, what doesn't?

beater_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and read through a few related threads but couldn't really find a list of what works and what doesn't.

I have an '89 2WD 4.0L XJ with the Peugot 5sp that I picked up for dirt cheap. The tranny is grinding pretty good and I have heard and read about all the problems with this one so I am looking to swap to the AX-15. But I figured if I am going to do that then I might as well swap to 4WD while I'm at it. The question is what parts from which models will work? My local junk yard has lots of 4WD Cherokees and Grand Cherokees to pick at as well.

Thanks for any and all help,
Brandon

4wd front axle perferably one with out the dissconnect axle, but can use the one with disconnect just need to add a perm-lok or posi-lok to it so that you can engage 4wd without worry about those trouble some vacum lines, 4wd front and rear driveshaft, If keeping manual then the ax-15/231 combo, the shift linkage and setup for 4wd,
and well want to say that,s about it. Not that big of a deal for the swap. Anything from a 4x4 from 87' to 96 will work on your jeep, as far as for the 4x4 swap. I'm in the middle of doing mine so yeah, do the 4x4 swap.

I forgot to mention I'm new to the Jeep scene so I don't really know that much about them. Hence, I don't know what you're saying here, "4wd front axle perferably one with out the dissconnect axle, but can use the one with disconnect just need to add a perm-lok or posi-lok to it so that you can engage 4wd without worry about those trouble some vacum lines".

Thanks

on jeeps up to 91' on the axle was a fork that lock the drive axles together acted like a poor mans lockout hubs. Just the factory acting like a genuis again. But well stop doing it for a reson, they sucked, it was something to help with gas milage but whatever, so try to get a D30 from a 91 to 96 if possible, but if not here is a link to the solution.....
http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_jeep.html

MiNi Beast said:
on jeeps up to 91' on the axle was a fork that lock the drive axles together acted like a poor mans lockout hubs. Just the factory acting like a genuis again. But well stop doing it for a reson, they sucked, it was something to help with gas milage but whatever, so try to get a D30 from a 91 to 96 if possible, but if not here is a link to the solution.....
http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_jeep.html
Even the vacuum lock front end years that have a 242 do not have a disconnect front end. So those also will work.
AAnother note is that you need to match the gearing in your current rear axle to the new front or they wont work together unless you regear.

Thanks for all the help!

I found a '93 Grand Cherokee for parts on the local Craigslist. He says it has a dana m30 front axle and a dana 35 rear axle, this truck has an auto tranny though. If I get the front and rear ends from this truck and the tranny plus transfercase from another will that be okay?

Also, I was wondering if I get the entire rear end inluding suspension and brakes, will that bolt up to my truck? That would give me rear discs correct? And I know the front Grand Cherokee coil springs can be used to slightly lift the normal Cherokees, will the rear leafs do the same?

Lastly, are there any other parts from the Grand Cherokee that could be used as upgrade parts on my '89?

Sorry for all the questions. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Brandon

The Grand Cherokee should have coil springs in the rear, so it would not be a direct bolt in. Try to get a rear from another Xj to keep it bolt in for your simplicity of the project. And the front coils will net you a inch more in lift than your stock springs you have in front now. And if you wanted to use the rear you can always weld on new leaf perches. But I would'nt recommand this route. If you want a good rear axle and disk brakes than I suggest a Ford 8.8 axle,from like a 97 Ford Expoler on up. You can aslo get this axle with 4.10 gear and a limited slip Differential. (Posi) and this is a desireable upgrade amoung XJ owners who are looking to have a lift to run like 33'' and 35" tires. But a good solid axle that is worth the hassle to put in if swaping axles anyways.

Never say sorry when asking questions. This is why this site is here. And Being new to jeeps the more the merry. Any Jeeper is willing to help another.

So, will that Ford axle bolt in w/o mods? And are you talking about using the leafs from the Ford or the stock ones on the Jeep? What is the standard gearing if it isn't posi and is there a Jeep front axle that matches it? And lastly, will the stock 4WD Jeep driveshaft work or would I use the Ford?

Thanks again, you're really being extremely helpful and paitent with me,
Brandon

The ford axle will need mods. You have to cut off the ford leaf perches and sway bar links and weld on new perches for the jeep. Ford leafs you cannot use you keep the jeep leafs and either get jeep lift springs for added lift or use a add a leaf setup or blocks for any desired lift amount. The ford rear end came from factory with 3.73 and 4.10. You can check the tag on the outside of the diff cover for what gear ratio the axle is. look something like this 410LD for 4.10 gears and Limited slip Diff, this being the desireable axle if can find. Like I said look for a 1997 Explorer or newer rear end if want this rear. your rear driveshaft can be reused however you need a flange adapter for it, check this out here to explain it further....
For axle swap...http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/ford-88-rear-axle-simple-swap-p-186.html

Flange adapter or 8.8 swap items...http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/Mounting Hardware-Axle/Mounting Hardware.htm

An a nice write up on a 8.8 swap...http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=41358&highlight=8.8+swap

Back