• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 Xj limited... electrical wiring

kiwiqc

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... first im gonna try to be clear on what i mean... (english is not my first language )

I need to replace the main wiring harness of the engine bay that goes to every sensors and go back in the interior of vehicule... mine have been cut at the firewall at the three places thats "enter the firewall"... so i want to know if there is connectors under the dash that links with the engine bay harness part and if any 1991 to 1995 4.0l ho main wiring harness can do the job or i absolutly need one from a limited... i have been searching the info for a long time and i did a research here to... my dash is remove but i have difficulties to remove the air ducks... please someone help me... :looney:

im gonna put pics of what im doing...

couettemoteurpassager3ao7.jpg

couettemoteurpassager5jc4.jpg

couetteintrieurpassagerpy0.jpg

If you have a auto, which I assume you do from pics, then get an auto harness, the wiring connects to trans computer and connects to the engine CPU then connects to the harness for the rear and inside the cab. But if have manual trans then you need a manual trans harness. But any harness from a 91 to 95 H.O. of your year will do the job, the limited was a trim package and had power, so the harness on the inside will work still and the engine won't matter. So as far as the engine harness for this you don't have to have one from another limited.

ok thx for the info! one of my question is anwsered :) ! i do have an auto trans... now i just need to know how to remove the cut part of my actual harness in order to install the new one... theres is a connector under the interior dash that makes the link with the engine bay harness right?? and this connector is behind the air dock right?? there is 3 if im not mistaken... 2 at the driver side and one on the passenger side.. right?? (its the first time i work on a jeep.... )

There is a thrans computer under the dash on the passenger side unplug it same as the engine CPU under the steering wheel. tight squeeze but you can get in there. The third disconnect at the fire wall, that one has a screw in the middle of the connector so undo that first, I think it's a 6mm. If you do not have a manual then pick one up if you can it can help guide you with some pics. Good to have if starting out on jeeps.

i have a hayness but its cheap... and i cant affort a real manual where i am... its 180$ for one book... can only have it at a dealer... if they have one... and if they wanna sell it... im gonna try that tomorow if the temp allow me to work outside! its minus 10 celcius right now lol... thx a lot for your help! i finally have my anwsers!!! :roll: :yelclap:

one more question... i was just thinking about it... after i disconnect the harnes from the 3 places (inside)... i just have to pull it out from the engine bay? it will be easy to pull out from there?? and i just put back the new one after that??

Yep but it also goes through the header panel as well. Being your first time with jeeps take you time and label anything you need to to ensure you get it back in the right place. Or use a camera to take some pics of certain areas to ensure you get it all back in place right. It's a pretty easy deal to take out but you must be patient and not rush it. No need to hurry on this being that this is what will make you or break you when it comes to the jeep. Take you new wiring harness and lay it out on the floor as it looks as if it was in the engine bay, then take everything out on the engine bay and try not to cut anything or lose anything untill you are done and the jeep is running to ensure you may not need to compare or use something off the old. AGAIN TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT RUSH AND PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DISCONNECTING!

ok! for sur i always take my time... but when i bought the jeep... there were not harness in the engine bay it was already cut at the firewall ( thats why i ask so many question)... but im sure im gonna put everything back where it belong... i have about a month or two to do this .. so and i have space to work since the dash is remove ... after that ill just replace everything in place :looney: thx again for your time! ill defenetly will make this jeep run good after i finish it :eeks1:

oh bah, its a '91....forget what I was gonna say

Good luck! =)

The '94 is friggin' easy....plug in the bulkhead connector, throw the short end to the comp., throw the long end across the engine....the rest is totally self explanatory. =)

Last edited:
kiwiqc said:
i have a hayness but its cheap... and i cant affort a real manual where i am... its 180$ for one book... can only have it at a dealer... if they have one... and if they wanna sell it... im gonna try that tomorow if the temp allow me to work outside! its minus 10 celcius right now lol... thx a lot for your help! i finally have my anwsers!!! :roll: :yelclap:

PM me for .pdf of factory manual.

Back