• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil springs keep turning

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
89 cherokee 3" coils with 1.75 spacers. When disconnected and wheeling the drivers coil turns and I lose about and inch of lift on that corner, also when the coil turns it bows and contacts the sway bar end link and track bar frame bracket. The oem hold down does not hold. Bad idea to tack the tip of the coil to the bucket to keep it from turning?? thanks

nah, shouldnt hurt anything to tack the very end of the coil. dont weld on any of the coils themselves but the very end of the spring shouldnt hurt anything, just make it hard to take out if you need to.

are you running longer control arms or stock?

Pull the spring, drill a hole in the bottom of the spring bucket, fabricate a spring holder, (I use a 1 inch wide strip of 3/16th curved at the ends to wrap around the coils) drill a hole in the holder, Install spring, insert a bolt and nut. Spring held in place!.

Buy the proper size shock!

I plan on doing a proper repair when I have the coils out to replace the bumpstops, I'm going to use the u bolt out of a cable clamp , weld is just an temp. repair

its not a matter of the right shock. strap it if you're flexing out too much (although thats an oxymoron, haha), dont let it hang on your shock, that just leads to a busted shock. i agree, a weld would definitely be temp only.

Not to hijack, but here's my hijack:D:If a coil makes an odd noise when going around a turn, particularly when hitting a drainage trough (one of the little 2-3" deep foot wide concrete types), is that the coil shifting? How do I stop it? It sounds like something tapping one of the coils real lightly. I used to think it was my brake lines getting caught up (they weren't routed very well before) but now with the new lift on, I've got stainless steel lines and they're routed so they shouldn't be hitting the springs at all...

I dont think that welding the end of the spring will last very long at all. From what I recall 1" of a 1/4" bead (70series) is good for 2000# in the optimum direction. The force from a coil will be in too many directions and prolly exceed 2000# of force.

I think you would be better off welding the clip rather than the spring.

Coil springs are just that springs they are tempered to facilitate spring, the weld will crack and break as soon any type of strain is applied, do not weld to any part of the coil that you do not want to have a crack in. Not to say you cannot weld the very end but be aware that it WILL crack and break. I think new strap and bolt is much better option.

Back