• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you net from ZJ v8 coils?

OverTheHillsATTW

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if you used ZJ coils how much lift you got up front. I'm looking at buying a set of 2.5" RE full AAL's from a guy on here and already have front ZJ coils. If I don't level what could I do to boost the front?

everybody keeps saying that ZJ coild will only give you 1" of lift.....

HOW THE HELL DID I GET 2.5 THEN!?!?!?!?!?

I think everybody s thinking of the V6 zj, rather than the V8. maybe I was lucky? I dunno, but if it doesn't give you enough, use a spacer...

Thats what I was thinking so I made this thread to see the diff. I'm hoping the coils give me 2.5" but if not I want to be preparred.

hah, I meant to say 6CYL... my mistake

only the inline...the V6 was in XJs from 84-86 or 87. Then the 4.0 was intro'd. The ZJ came in like 93 or 94, well past the time Jeep wisely cut their ties to the 2.8 from Chevy.

yeah, I had every intention of typing 6CYL but somehow V6 came out... anyhoo, again, I think that the people who get their coils from the 6CYL ZJ get 1" of lift, and the folks who get the V8 ZJ coils get 2.5". But that's just my assumption.

tayman said:
everybody keeps saying that ZJ coild will only give you 1" of lift.....

HOW THE HELL DID I GET 2.5 THEN!?!?!?!?!?

I think everybody s thinking of the V6 zj, rather than the V8. maybe I was lucky? I dunno, but if it doesn't give you enough, use a spacer...

I have a set of ZJ 4.0L stock coils and they are the same length as the stock XJ coils, same diameter of wire as well. I wouldn't think the 4.0 ZJ coils would give you much if any lift at all.

I bought a pair of coils from 4wd.com made by Crown Automotive (IIRC) that were listed as being for the ZJ without specifying whether they were for the I6 or the V8. I bought them in large part because they were only about 35 bucks each which isn't much more than what I'd pay at the salvage yard. They netted me about 1/4 inch so I put on three additional coil spring isolators as spacers on each side which got me up to 2 inches of lift which is what I was shooting for, so I was reasonably happy. Four months later after some unexpected settling my lift is down to 1.5 inches...without the spacers I would be below stock height. I do not want to put any additional spacers on so I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and getting OME coils to go with my OME shocks that are already on.

Moral of the story, after bad experiences with junmkyard parts and in this case buying new parts on the cheap, I'm just going for quality parts in the future. Buying cheap parts gets to be just too expensive.

My v8 ZJ coils gave 1.5" of lift - front end sat at ~19"
I added stock isolators for another 5/8 of inch and vibration dampening, too.
You can add OME trim spacers to make a full inch of spacer lift. Cheaper and better all-around than poly spacers.

V8 ZJ springs will give you another 1" (compensates for the weight of the V8)
V8 ZJ UpCountry spirings with give you 2" (Same reason as above, plus the package)

(give or take a bit)

Okay so say im working with only 1" in the front. Where can I find OME trim spacers? Which part number should I be looking for. Sorry to be a PITA.

hmm... I guess I got lucky

Cornflake said:
maybe you guys measure like this.....you say 9 inches but we all know it's 4? LOL!!!

um......

no.:conceited

Back