• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

29 spline chrysler 8.25 no-slip

asp

NAXJA Forum User
i was installing my no-slip in my 29 spline chrysler 8.25 rear end today and i noticed that the instructions as well as the exploded view say that there should be a slotted driver and spacer and a non-slotted driver and spacer. much to my dismay, i don't have a slotted driver an spacer and a non-slotted driver and spacer. i was sent 2 slotted spacers and 2 slotted drivers. i realized this when i couldn't get all the second driver into the carrier with both couplers and one driver in. and just my luck richmond gear isn't open until 8 am tomorrow and my jeep is on jack stands for the night. i think i was sent one wrong driver and one wrong spacer. if anyone has any first hand experience with the no-slips it would be much appreciated.

It's fine, put 'er together. The slot is only needed on one side but it doesn't affect operation running 2 slotted. If i remember correctly, they are only using slotted now anyway. -B

well that's a huge relief, but i tried to and couldn't fit it all into the carrier. i know the instructions are big time effed, like where it says put it at the front of the vehicle, you actually want the back and vice versa. but i couldn't get it all in. that's what she said. :laugh2: any suggestions on that? basically don't be an idiot and put it together correctly?

You must have the syncro rings alingned perfectly,if they are not and you try to force it they will break.I can r+r mine in less than 30 minutes!
BTW,test fit the C-clip's for a loose fit in the side gears before attempting any part of the install.Its not mentioned anywhere,until you come here and see why people cant get theirs back out later or broke something trying to get them in!
I found the directions to be spot on,re-read and slow down!
Rather than just relying on grease to hold things in place,I use a couple small wood wedges so you can rotate things arould w/o it all falling apart again.

Last edited:
i can see how i would be able to r+r in 30 minutes i could get to work :doh: . i had my spiders out in no time at all and the no-slip nearly in when i ran into this snag. i aligned the syncros, i thought. if they weren't lined up. the teeth wouldn't bite correctly, right? mine are biting perfectly, as far as the eye can tell.

when i was installing my no-slip i thought the teeth were perfectly lined up and meshed and it just wouldnt go in so i pulled it in rotated one click and it slipped right in. guess it wasnt lined up the first time?

..yeah sounds about right. we'll see in the morning.

best thing to do is to put it together outside the axle and mark it across, then all you have to do is line up the marks

I'll take a shot in the dark as to why you are having trouble. The inst. tell you to put one side in facing the rear or front (can't exactly remember) but the point it that the the second half will not fit if you do it that way.
So when installing the first side, i believe it's the left side, face it the opposite of what the instructions say and the right side will then fit. If this makes no sense, i'll grab my inst. and explain it better. (1st coffee of the day right now).
Your locker will function perfect if you do exactly what the inst. say only reversing the left/right facing directions. Does this make sense? -B

boomhauer said:
I'll take a shot in the dark as to why you are having trouble. The inst. tell you to put one side in facing the rear or front (can't exactly remember) but the point it that the the second half will not fit if you do it that way.
So when installing the first side, i believe it's the left side, face it the opposite of what the instructions say and the right side will then fit. If this makes no sense, i'll grab my inst. and explain it better. (1st coffee of the day right now).
Your locker will function perfect if you do exactly what the inst. say only reversing the left/right facing directions. Does this make sense? -B

i figured out that error already. i called richmond gear this morning, and it was that i was reusing thrust washers. they're shown in the picture but doesn't say so in the directions. went in in about 15 minutes after i took off the thrust washers from the couplers. thanks for the help guys!

.....I thought that you were supposed to leave those in there??? It's been a while though....

richmond gear said no. the thrust washers are just to prevent wear, and if the couplers are hard enough, they won't wear. and just by looking at it you can tell it's been hardened... not sure what sort of process they use, but my guess is quenching from the looks of it. anyway. yeah... no thrust washers. you have to leave them in for lock rights though, the tech i talked to did mention that, as did my friend who has one in his yota 8.4

asp387 said:
i figured out that error already. i called richmond gear this morning, and it was that i was reusing thrust washers. they're shown in the picture but doesn't say so in the directions. went in in about 15 minutes after i took off the thrust washers from the couplers. thanks for the help guys!
Didnt that show up with the "go/no-go" gauge?

i couldn't even get the second driver in to test it with the go/no go gauge with the thrust washers in.

Back