• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Input shaft

fenstrat76

NAXJA Forum User
I almost feel bad posting this, but here goes. I haven't been to the NAXJA forums since I last was running a Cherokee. (05' for the record) I've since purchased a Wrongler (4L,5spd) and have run into what may be a strange situation with my transmission, AX15. I drove on some rough roads about a month ago that resulted in a very mushy feeling clutch. At first, I thought I had some air in the line as it felt like my 86' cherokee did before I bled it. After a while I could tell it was needing to be pressed further to engage. Well, last week, I pull out of a drive way and hear a snap and my clutch won't even budge at all. (Clutch assy was replaced last summer.) I limped it to the transmission shop where I had it worked on and left them the keys. Turns out, the end of the input shaft in the tranny (part that goes in the pilot bushing) actually snapped off, and fragged the clutch. This had to have happend just when I heard the snap. I drove at least 4 miles without any more noise than that, and it drove fine. I'm wondering, what I was feeling in the clutch pedal before that? I'm wondering if the clutch installation could have gone bad last summer and led up to this. The same company has fixed it this time as last and I'm VERY suspicious now that I've been told he let a friend take the broken shaft to another shop to show the guys there.
Any ideas?

Back