• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help!!

rparker762

NAXJA Forum User
I need help bad!!:aagh: I hope someone more knowledgeable can figure this out. First, I have a 96 XJ, 4.0, auto tranny, bla bla bla. I had to bypass the NSS with a toggle switch. Spliced into the computer side of the connector. Everything has been working fine until this morning. I started the jeep and all my radio presets were gone. Thought, hmmm. Stopped at QT, went out to start the jeep, it started but it was running rough, until I turned the NSS. Then it ran fine. I thought hmmm. I turned the switch on while idling and the rpms dropped and it started running rough again. Turned it off and all was well. Got to work, opened the door, dome light starts flashing and then stops by itself. Though hmmm. Shut the door, opened it again, no dome light. kept door open, started jeep and the dome light comes on.:confused: Nothing has changed from yesterday, so I have no clue what could cause this. I'm gonna go by a new battery today but I've never had the toggle switch try to kill the motor and I've left it on for days at a time before. Any of this sound familiar???:aagh:

Ive never had to deal with this particular situation but it sounds to me like you have a wiring issue if you have any wires runnung anywhere near the door the door could have cut them or took off some of the plastic coating and caused them to short out dont hold me to that but i would run down all the wiring and check all the connections

Did this just start since running the bypass? If so, and if possible, remove the bypass, put that all back to regular. If your NSS is acting up, pull it off the tranny, take it apart, clean it real good with brake cleaner and a wire brush, then slather new grease -pretty sure it's white lithium grease- and put it back together and reinstall. Did that with mine for a grand total of $13 -including the purchase of the wire brush- almost 4 yrs ago now, no problems since. And that's with the occasional dunk and soak in murky water...

sounds like you bypassed the nss wrong. The way I do it is tap into the green wire to the starter and run it to a push button and then to 12v on the other end. That way it completely bypasses the nss and start relay, so if you have any further wiring issues they will not hinder starting.

Actually no, I've been running the bypass for about 3 months now. This just started. I'm gonna run and pick up a battery and some cable ends , mine are pretty corroded. Interesting enough, I had a Blazer that ran like crap for a while until I changed the ends then she ran fine. I guess I'll try that first.

Ok, I got home today and turned the jeep off. Again, lost all my presets on the radio, also the dome light wouldn't come on. Tried turning the light switch and messing with the jamb switch but nothing. turned the ignition to run, the stereo would not come back on. Started the jeep and the dome light came on and the radio powered on. Checked every visible wire that I could both under the dash and under the hood and everything looks fine. No cut, chaffed or crushed wires. Went and had the battery and alternator checked, the battery was bad so I replaced it but all the symptoms are still there. Does anyone know if the dome light, NSS, and radio share any of the same wires or the same circut? Frankly, the only thing that worries me is the NSS. It should not try to kill the motor if it is flipped while the jeep is running. I have searched everywhere but cant find the interior lighting diagram.

So, I decided to go back out to the jeep and do one last check and guess what?:aagh: I don't know why I didn't find this before but at my work, we have small field rats. Apparently one decided to try and eat into the wiring harness on the passenger side by the charcoal canister. He BBQ'd himself and with the dying battery and the chewed wires I guess it couldn't take it. I patched the wires for now, and so far, the dome light is working again and the radio presets are staying set. :) Though my fiance had asked me if the NSS had acted like that before and to come to think of it, I don't ever remember flipping the switch on and off while driving and today must have been a fluke. So I'll see in the morning. I greatly apreciate all the input and hope not fry up any more critters until huntin' season. Thanks again

Ron

Back