• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Duming a 2.8

freedom1st

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my first XJ a bit over a year ago. I love the body and am working on some interior mods. The problem I have is the 2.8 v6, one of the worst engines I have ever worked on. I want to dump the 2.8. I've looked at the 3.4 swap, but if I'm going to get into the time and money of replacing a motor, trany and T/C (The trany has bolt issues and planned on upgrading both it and the T/C when I bought the jeep) I'm thinking of a different motor altogether. either a 4.0 or a small block chevy v8. Has anyone gone this route? What are the big issues I need to consider? How difficult will it be to adjust the wiring harness, etc. My wife is willing to let me spend the money. I just want to know how much of a PITA I'm looking at.

I have researched it. Even found one place that makes a 3.8 stroker that bolts up, the question is more one of future financial consideration. How easy or difficult to find a part. Cost of said part, etc. I know that I'm ok there with either a small block chevy or a 4.0. I've found bracket kits for both for my jeep and have a mechanic willing to help with the install at no cost. It's the details I'm concerned with.

Another engine to consider is the 3800 N/A out of late 90's camaros. They don't sell for much, will bolt up to any transmission that the 2.8 bolts to, and if you talk to the bonneville and GP guys, aren't too bad to work on.

my $.02

hklvette said:
Another engine to consider is the 3800 N/A out of late 90's camaros. They don't sell for much, will bolt up to any transmission that the 2.8 bolts to, and if you talk to the bonneville and GP guys, aren't too bad to work on.

my $.02
Where might I find the bonneville and GP guys? I've seen a reference to 60* people elsewhere on the forum, but am not sure where to look.

Consider the Chevy 4.3L V6 as well, a few people here run them, great motors.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Consider the Chevy 4.3L V6 as well, a few people here run them, great motors.
I have read thtat the 4.3 had some parts that would bolt up to the 2.8, like the tbi, so the 4.3 is an interesting option. Do you know if it requires much modification?

dumping or exhuming? From what I've read, people tend to go with the 60* engines (3.4) instead of the 90*(4.3). I just read the other day that some people are using the bottom end RWD 3.8s and putting in the top end from FWD supercharged bonny's and buicks. Kudos to whoever gets the 4.3 turbo setup to work, though.

If you just gotta change motor and trans/tc....consider a 4.3/700R4/NP231 from a S/10 or Blazer...no computer for the trans needed...but it is by no means a "bolt-in"...will give you about the same horsepower as a stock 4.0..the 4.0 swap can be done also...just find a 87-90 wreck that is COMPLETE for parts.....so you can at least use the existing instrument cluster, etc..

gradon said:
dumping or exhuming? From what I've read, people tend to go with the 60* engines (3.4) instead of the 90*(4.3). I just read the other day that some people are using the bottom end RWD 3.8s and putting in the top end from FWD supercharged bonny's and buicks. Kudos to whoever gets the 4.3 turbo setup to work, though.
That was supposed to dumping. My p key sticks sometimes.:laugh3:

When I first saw the title I thought it said "duning".

I installed a 4.0 in my 85 2.8v6 equipped xj. It was not bolt in by any means. I picked up a rolled 93 sport, and was able to pull engine, trans, transfer case, cross member, and motor mounts. Front and rear axles. Along with the original wiring harness and computer, radiator, gas tank.... I wish I would have realized it had a tow package, I could have pulled that too. I ended up building one. It was a decent amount of work. I had to cut the core support out, fab in the original header panel from the 93, ended up using hood pins because the latch mechanism is different (donor jeep didn't have a hood) Of course, I had to install the fuel pump, run the wiring for it, cut the wiring harness into the existing harness, change out the instrument cluster, fab up some fuel lines The 4.0 cross member wouldn't fit correctly on my Jeep, so I had to mod the original. I lost the transfer case linkage over the six months I stroked the project along, so I had to build new stuff. Blah Blah Blah.... By the time I was done, I was wishing I would have just stuck in a 4.3/700r4 setup. I could have kept the original wiring, bolted a carburetor on it, and left the radiator where it was. Anyway, I am pretty happy with the results, and would be glad to offer insight if you plan on doing the switch. :thumbup:

Love2Ride450 said:
When I first saw the title I thought it said "duning".

I installed a 4.0 in my 85 2.8v6 equipped xj. It was not bolt in by any means. I picked up a rolled 93 sport, and was able to pull engine, trans, transfer case, cross member, and motor mounts. Front and rear axles. Along with the original wiring harness and computer, radiator, gas tank.... I wish I would have realized it had a tow package, I could have pulled that too. I ended up building one. It was a decent amount of work. I had to cut the core support out, fab in the original header panel from the 93, ended up using hood pins because the latch mechanism is different (donor jeep didn't have a hood) Of course, I had to install the fuel pump, run the wiring for it, cut the wiring harness into the existing harness, change out the instrument cluster, fab up some fuel lines The 4.0 cross member wouldn't fit correctly on my Jeep, so I had to mod the original. I lost the transfer case linkage over the six months I stroked the project along, so I had to build new stuff. Blah Blah Blah.... By the time I was done, I was wishing I would have just stuck in a 4.3/700r4 setup. I could have kept the original wiring, bolted a carburetor on it, and left the radiator where it was. Anyway, I am pretty happy with the results, and would be glad to offer insight if you plan on doing the switch. :thumbup:

If I went with the 4.3/700r4 setup, any idea of wht type of mods would have to be made? I have an 86 2.8 and hate the engine. I should have known better this is my 2nd 2.8. first was an 86 s10 4x4. That truck taught me the calming power of throwing tools.

I was in the same situation as you and studied several swaps hard and decided on a 99 Vortec 5.7/89 700r4/NP 231 swap. In the end it's going to cost me $3,000 easy but I just wasted $800 rebuilding the last 2.8 with all the HP goodies and it still sucked. I've had lawnmower engines put out more HP.

I figure the 5.7 won't have to work as hard and I should get better mileage than the 14 I got with the 2.8.

The 3.4 is an option but it needs to be from a rwd Camaro or T-Bird because on the fwd cars the starter is on the other side.

You can see my progress at earlyxj.com

I had the crappy 2.8, blew it up after 320 000k, and instead of wasting time and money to try to fix it, i just bought whole new jeep with a 4.0L

I'm in the same boat as you, but my problem is the front driveshaft. I've got 456's, 33's and the driveshaft will not take it. But the 2.8 seems to be doing OK. I think I'll go 4.3 because of the core support and the availability of parts.

Back