• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock gas tank skid

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
I have an opportunity to buy a stock gas tank, but have a cuople questions:

1. Does the gas tank have to be removed to install the skid?

2. Are stock skids compatible with trailer hitches?

Rod Knee said:
I have an opportunity to buy a stock gas tank, but have a cuople questions:

1. Does the gas tank have to be removed to install the skid?

2. Are stock skids compatible with trailer hitches?

1. No

2. Yes

well if your talking about the steel gas tank skid that came stock and not the plastic one then yes they do work with trailer hitches. and no you dont have to remove the gas tank to install. i just put one on thhat was from an 87 xj.

mudxj92 said:
well if your talking about the steel gas tank skid that came stock and not the plastic one then yes they do work with trailer hitches. and no you dont have to remove the gas tank to install. i just put one on thhat was from an 87 xj.

Yes, I am refering to a steel GT skid. What year XJ do you have that an "87 skid fits on. I wonder how carefull you have to be fitting skids from one production year to XJ's of another year.

Rod Knee said:
I wonder how carefull you have to be fitting skids from one production year to XJ's of another year.

Gas tank skids will fit 1984 to 1996 or 1997 to 2001. 1997 got the plastic gas tank and the new design skid. You can modify one kind to fit the other.

The stock skid and trailer hitch from unknown earlier years fit fine on a 96.

Don't forget to get the nut strips that fit inside the frame channel.

1759234077_d7a2d90bb4_o.jpg

sjkimmel99 said:
The stock skid and trailer hitch from unknown earlier years fit fine on a 96.

Don't forget to get the nut strips that fit inside the frame channel.

1759234077_d7a2d90bb4_o.jpg

Actually, my xj is a "96, since you mention it. The hitch has been on it since I bought it so I presume the nut strips are in there.

You will probably have to pull the hitch, then, put on the skid and then the hitch. I suggest having a good floor jack and/or good friend to help, as it makes this alot quicker.

ren said:
You will probably have to pull the hitch, then, put on the skid and then the hitch. I suggest having a good floor jack and/or good friend to help, as it makes this alot quicker.

Well, I bought a skid off a '95 ZJ yesterday. I've got a couple bottle jacks which I place on cinder blocks for these types of jobs..works pretty slick. I figure on fitting the skid and doing any necessary trimming and then taking it to a welding shop to get it reinforced before installing it. Either that or using this project to learn some welding myself.

RenegadeStang said:
I had to install mine: unibody - skid - hitch. There's no way that the hitch would go between the gas tank and the skid.

That's the way mine was. It was a Hidden Hitch. Skid was factory.

On the one in the picture it's unibody -> hitch -> skid. The skid and hitch are more of an overlap than a 1:1 on top of each other. The hitch sticks further out to the back about 6 or 7 inches and the skid goes further to the front.

However, the rear of the skid curves up between the skid and the tank as well so there's a bit of overlap there too. In this picture you can see where the skid has a sort of notch to clear the hitch. And the skid fits over the tank, straps and all, hopefully you're not trying to put the straps on over the skid.

Just put a jack under the skid and force it up there. Use something like a long punch to stick in the bolt holes to align the nuts / unibody / hitch / skid and you should be OK. Get new bolts and wire brush the nut strip threads (or chase them with a tap) so you aren't trying to bolt one rusty piece of junk to another.

1760084324_ee7b9a85e5_o.jpg

Back