• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first welding experience, happened to be a tire carrier

96cherokee40

NAXJA Forum User
I have been kicking this idea around in my head for awhile now, and I finally spent alot of time this week bring it to fruition. I am a little on the cheap side, and I believe in recycling, so this was made from an old weight bench. It is only 1/8" thick wall tubing, but it is very strong. I would feel comfortable putting a larger tire on it, but I would not like having to swing it back up unless I had a cable or something attached to it and something else. I left the ends of the center reinforcing bar attached so I could either use them as a step, or perhaps attach some halogens to them. What do you guys think?

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Looks good! it looks like it lessens your departure angle a little. But it doesn't seem like that is a huge deal. Nice job going from concept to reality!
Jeremy

omg! is that a jeep liberty renegade on the left???? i want one too!!!!

That is the wife's Liberty, and it a sport. Next time will definitely opt for the Renegade though :) And yes Alex, I am dying for a lift, which will probably happen in the next month or two. The brackets that the hitch pins go through are attached to the stock bumper, which also pass through a solid piece of angle iron on the other side.

i would definately bolt through the bumper a little better. if you can, (i know this would be a pita, but i would bolt through the bumper and put big washers or a plate on the inside (a flat bar the size of the l bracket at least) looks like you just have sheetmetal screws in it. cool design and all, looks good. it woudl just suck to have your tire dragging on the highway behind you. not that it would be terribly dangerous, just a waste of a tire!

Not sheet metal screws. They are 1/4 bolts with a philips head, and on the other side, they also go through a piece of 1" angle iron that runs the whole length between them. I may in fact be changing the whole way that it atatches to the bumper to something a little tighter.

That looks really nice. I'd like to see it without the tire though, it's hard to steal ideas when you can't see the whole thing.

96cherokee40 said:
Not sheet metal screws. They are 1/4 bolts with a philips head, and on the other side, they also go through a piece of 1" angle iron that runs the whole length between them. I may in fact be changing the whole way that it atatches to the bumper to something a little tighter.

alright well that sounds a lot better than sheetmetal screws. good job!

Kudos for fabbing up something yourself. Looks like a lot of work to get into the hatch now. With a tire that small why dont you just leave inside the heep? A 31" er will fit n the stock location on newer xjs.

Back