• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 disk question

94xjstud

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to take the front disk brakes off of a cherokee and put them on a dana 44 off of an 87 cherokee. what other disk brakes work, other than the zj

If you look at front discs and rear discs, you'll see that they are mounted differently. Front discs are mounted to the knuckle and rear discs are mounted to a backing plate that attaches to the axle flange. Not possible to interchange.

I have ZJ rear discs on my 8.25. Now I'm putting together a D44 that will have Explorer rear discs.

"Not possible to interchange" is the wrong statement.

Difficult to interchange is more like it. There was somebody who posted on here awhile ago, and didn't hang out here much who said they had fabricated and welded brackets to their rear axle which allowed them to mount XJ front calipers to the rear axle. Sounds like a great idea, but he didn't give any sort of step by step or post any pics. In principle, it would be the same as utilizing the bracket Ruff Stuff Specialties sells http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/weld-on-disk-brake-bracket-275-axle-p-141.html to mount up GM calipers, except your pads and rotors would match all the way around. Viola- 4 wheel disc.

Last edited:
Okay, they are not easily interchangeable. Better? I was speaking from a purely bolt-on POV.

Hell, anything is possible if you can weld and fab. ;)

Back