• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing one rotor

sgtpeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of replacing pads for my girlfriend. One rotor needs replacing. The other rotor is fine and doesn't even need turning. I was just thinking though, there isn't a need to replace both rotors on an axle is there? I started wondering since you're supposed to replace both sets of pads on an axle at the same time.

Thanks for any responses.

With brakes I always replace in pairs. Prevents a lot of problems in the future. If one rotor was shot and the other in good shape something was amiss and needs to be corrected before you replace the rotor(s). Good Luck.

Woody

Actually, the tire on that wheel has worn in a very strange way. It has worn out in diagonal bands all along the tire. There are bands of tread and bands of bald. I've never seen anything like it. I told her she needs new tires pronto. Unbalanced wheel? The pads were worn to the metal.

Thanks for the help.

sgtpeeper said:
Actually, the tire on that wheel has worn in a very strange way. It has worn out in diagonal bands all along the tire. There are bands of tread and bands of bald. I've never seen anything like it. I told her she needs new tires pronto. Unbalanced wheel? The pads were worn to the metal.

Thanks for the help.

Ball Joints....
Worn in bands? Is it cupping, ie a pattern of tread that is worn more than another. THis would look like a band of tire wear, I think.

It's cupping as far as I understand it. I figured out what one problem is. The caliper is bad and the brakes have been dragging excessively, destroying the pads and rotor. I don't know if that explains the tire.

I don't have these problems because I'm anal about maintenance. She's one of these "as long as it runs I'm happy" types. :) I don't even think we've been seeing each other long enough for me to be doing a complete brake job for her. I've only known her for a month. Anyone have any guidlines on that? Am I a sucker?

Hey sarge where at in NC? I am a firm believer in the replace in pairs thing especially on brakes as these guys say but depending on how new that other rotor is might help you decide as well as budget. Sounds definitely like a cupping or feathering issue on the tire though. She possibly knocked a weight loose or lack of rotation or even possibly a bad tire, although rare. The brakes in no way would affect the wear though so if you have a caliper hangin up, look into it they are like $55ea. new on e-bay. Check the other tires and if you got less than say 4/32nds tell her to go ahead and throw some new shoes on. And remind her that the key to even tire wear and long life is rotation, prefferably every 6k or more. Hope this helps.

i do pairs also. the only time i would just replace one rotor is if the xj is a real beater pos.

Personally I'd just replace the single -- assuming its a car that I will be driving enough to be aware of any problems.

sgtpeeper said:

Thanks for the help.
Worn to the metal on just one side? She probably has a stuck caliper, which should be replaced.

I have no problem replacing only one rotor if you only need one. I probably wouldn't do that on a Grand Prix car, but on a street vehicle driven by a (hopefully) fairly sane driver, it won't be a problem.

Back