• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31's and 4.56 gearing

hagermanfolley

Builder
I have 31's right now with stock gearing, want to change my gearing to 4.56, for the 33's I will eventually buy. My question is how is this going to drive with my 31's? anyone ever done this?

super torqy, and bad gass milage... and you wont be able to go super fast. good for 33's tho.

I drove for a couple months with 4.56 gears and 31s, until I could get my 33s on there. I liked it. :)

How long are you talking about til you get the 33s?

It won't be bad at all. I just put 4:10's in a buddy's Jeep with 31's and his is about perfect. I have 4:56's with 35's and mine is still somewhat of a dog. On the highway, you will rev a bit more, but it won't be as bad as you would think. In fact, with the gearing in your overdrive, you probably won't lose that much gas mileage. In contrast, your in-town mileage will improve from where you are now, as you won't need to rev nearly as much to take off and accelerate.

Is it perfect, no. Will it be terrible, no.

Good luck!

Won't be an issue. I'd worry about your rear axle handling 33s more.

I drove for a little over a year with 31's and 4.56 gears. It went on 12 hour trips, and lot of in town driving. I got better mileage with the 4.56's than I did with stock gears. It drove 75 on the highway with no problem, and it was FUN in town. I went to 33's, and it still drives better than 3.55's and 31's. So, my vote is go for it. You won't regret it.

Neal

sgtmack said:
I drove for a little over a year with 31's and 4.56 gears. It went on 12 hour trips, and lot of in town driving. I got better mileage with the 4.56's than I did with stock gears. It drove 75 on the highway with no problem, and it was FUN in town. I went to 33's, and it still drives better than 3.55's and 31's. So, my vote is go for it. You won't regret it.

Neal

I agree 100%. I hated the power loss when I went to 33's. JIM.

I will probably have that combo for 9 months or so. Im not worried about my rear end as I have a 8.25 with 29 splines. Sounds like it will be better then the combo I have now. So how much did your gas milage go down when you went to the 33's from the 31's with the 4.56?

It's fun to drive, I got about the same with 3.55s 31s, 4.56s 31, 33, and 35. About 14 or so with all of em.

OLAK said:
like a sports car :) you can start in second gear on the street

psh... I can do it on 3.07's and 31's... ya just have to know how to drive it!

Del00XJ said:
Better yet do it, take out your front shaft and drop it in 4lo...

LOL! I did that when I was swapping a Dana 44 in the front that had a new set of 4.56's and a Detroit in it. The rear wasn't done yet, so we dropped the rear shaft (I had a AA SYE kit and Tom Woods Shaft) and drove it down the street in four low. When we had to drive it to the shop for the rear gears and Detroit we unlocked the front hubs, threw it in 2 high, and put the rear shaft back on.

I wouldn't advise it for long trips of any sort though.

gearing is so expensive :cry:

i ran 4:56 and 32's... then the speedo said 90, i was doing 65! it was fast as crap! blew the doors off of a couple of trucks. and i got better gas milage cause the truck wasnt working as hard...

Back