• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jammed bolt in lower control arm.....

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
im swappin a axle out and the only thing thats not lettin me get the new one in is the drivers side lower control arm bolt is jammed in there i have hit it with the hammer, i tried spinnnin it, but it spins with the joint, tried usin a c-clamp but nothin...any ideas?! i really dont wnat to fork out 200 just for one re arm....i was thinkin maybe heatin it up?!

whats a punch look like?! and i was thinkin the same thing for the pb;)!thanks!

pb it, slide a block of wood up under it and drive a tapered punch ( looks like a chisel, but round shank ), and drive it on through. If it still has the nut on it you can always buy a nut buster ( it fits down around the nut, has a chisel point on it and you screw the chisel point down until it splits the nut ). Lots of tools out there to help with stuff like this.

hmm ok.... ill give that a try.. and post up what happens:)!

How is the axle supported right now? Is the axle in a bind because three arms are off and the axle is either a little high or low? Without seeing it I can imagine that the axle is in a bind and the bolt is taking all the stress, but I'm not there to look.

I am also assuming you are talking about the lower control arm bolt to the unibody mount and not the axle mount side of the arm. Please describe it...

Just trying to help!

no the axle is out.... i just sawz-alled the mount to the axle... and thats mount im talkin bout.... im just gonna drill a whole in the bolt and use a screw extractor for it! ill see how that goes!!

well no luck.... still, im ready to just toss the arm and find a used one?! anyone gota re flex arm:D!?

i cant when the heim joint keeps moving when i hit, or the bolt just bends, and i cant beat the hell out it, when my jeep is on jack stands...

you can't get a sawzall blade between the arm and the mount? Cut the bolt on both sides of the arm. I had to do that to mine a couple weeks ago for my LCA's.

i might be able to, even then how do i get the rest of the bolt out?!thanks!

^^^You have more options and room with the control arm off the vehicle.
You could soak it in PB Blaster (completely submerge the problem bolt) overnight if you had to, that should loosen it up enough to hammer it out.

Heat,PB or wax, and Ice
I at times try to use the forces of expansion and contraction on stubborn nuts and bolts

ill take it off tomorrow and do both ur suggestions:)! thanks!

How'd it go?
I just replaced (stock)upper control arm bushing with poly yesterday. PIA!
Made a big difference, driveshaft no longer hits header.

FINALYY got it.... i used a 2 ft breaker bar and 30 min. of pb...THANKS EVERYONE!

Back