• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 going in soon, what about DS length?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I'm currently running an RE H and T on my 242 and a HAD cv driveshaft. Is it going to fit my 8.8? I have the adapeter and its bolt in ready, I am talking about length wise? Trying to figure this out before putting the axle under the Jeep cause then it will be too late. I'm at about 6" in the rear.

I guess I am asking is whats the difference in the 8.25 pinon and 8.8?

Also if my shaft it too long/short can a DS shop just modifiy or replace the bottom portion (the yoke side) of my shaft from the (cv portion down)

btw I searched of course and got tw othreads about DS length and neigther deal with a 242 or speak of the difference in pinion length (8.25 vs 8.8)

I was able to use my D35 DS no problem when I went to an 8.8. And now with an SYE and I running a front DS in the rear. I think if anything it will stretch your DS out a little more but not much. I think the 8.25 has the longest pinion length or whatever you want to call it.

what I can tell you is that from your flange to the rear u-joint will be about 34". This is assuming you have flanges on both ends. Do have an 8.8 with a yoke or flange? I have a 242-H&T-8.8 setup sitting in my garage so I can measure stuff.

kubtastic said:
what I can tell you is that from your flange to the rear u-joint will be about 34". This is assuming you have flanges on both ends. Do have an 8.8 with a yoke or flange? I have a 242-H&T-8.8 setup sitting in my garage so I can measure stuff.

Thanks man, it has the adapter so it sould have a yoke right?. The axle is being shipped to me as we speak and not sure, I may call the guy real quick and ask. I mean the whole point of the "adapter" is to replace or mod the 8.8s flange for a yoke right?

Last edited:
Assuming you do have a flanged 8.8 coming to you, then that rear u joint will be oh... 10" from the tube, so ~11.5" from the tube's center. This is taken by a block of wood placed on the flange and some measuring tape, all while on my back. Any other numbers?

If it has an adapter on it, then you'll just install the adapter onto the driveshaft (open up that u-joint to do so) and then attach to the flange to install.

Plus, depending on how much you hacked off the output shaft will change that first number I gave you. I had the output as short as possible.

Last edited:
Okay thanks

Back