• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Started my rear storage.

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Once upon a time I had a heavy wooden cargo box similar to alot of other people.I started brain storming and this is what I came up with:All pics are clicky.

This is a lid on the passenger side that I cut to shape out of 1/8" steel and mounted on hinges

Drivers side panel cut so the rear section can be removed for storage of my spare alternator,fuel pump,belts and hoses.The yellow line is where I made the cut.The yellow dots are wing nuts for easy removal

Panel removed.There is alot of unused cargo space behind these panels!!

Panel.The red dots are where the wig nuts go_Only takes about 30 seconds to pop it off to get to the spares behind it.

Front passenger storage where my harbor freight compressor will live.The drivers side is the same and will house spare fluids and tools.Still have to make removable covers for these......

I have converted my rig to a two seater so I ditched the back seat.There is alot of storage space in the compartments below the seat so I'll be making a cover that will ride on the foldable seat hinges and will resemble the seat back.
What do ya think???

Last edited:
Good ideas, I assume it's not DD. Keeping stuff that moves around in behind the quarter panels can cause wear are allow rust to form. But I like it.

Does anyone know if the braces inside the front panels,near the front seatbelt retractors are absolutely nessesary???Looks like they give support to the door latch striker......

I removed the bracket on the rear drivers side where the spare goes and now I always hear a knocking noise. Neadless to say I will be replacing it this summer when I remove my quater panel armour to re-paint and seal it properly.

If you'd use camlocks instead of wingnuts it would go on and off alot quicker. Good idea though, I think I'll be doing something like it. I'm thinking access panels, could just be the aircraft mechanic in me, lol.

I like the look of the uncluttered open space. Can you get all the stuff you need to carry in just those 4 areas? I have a large storage box and a multi drawer toolbox and still always thing I've forgotten to bring something I'll need.
I always want to be prepared but seldom am.

coastie124 said:
If you'd use camlocks instead of wingnuts it would go on and off alot quicker. Good idea though, I think I'll be doing something like it. I'm thinking access panels, could just be the aircraft mechanic in me, lol.

I plan on keeping seldom used parts like spare alt,fuel pump,belt,hoses ect. on the drivers side so instant access isn't important.On the pass side that has the flip up door I'll keep parts that I need easy access to.I also have some storage space under the rear seat back(seat cusion removed)if everything doesn't fit in the four other "pockets"
I'll probably be looking into adding under body storage for axle shafts and driveshafts,ect.

Speaking of the pass side door,I have yet to find a latch for it....got any ideas?What are these cam locks you are speaking of?Are they the latches that can be found on tool boxes?

The red line that I added to this pic shows the 1" lip at the bottom that I need a latch for....The door sits flush against it.

Last edited:

This is where my hi-lift will live.....I guess it kinda negates the ease of access to the flip up door,as with everything there usually has to be a compromise.I installed a carriage bolt(indicated in yellow) into the seat back catch.Perhaps I can use the base of the hi-lift to keep the door shut,maybe??Pics forthcomming.....stay tuned.

Last edited:
Are you running any side panel armor? I'd be really careful about putting expensive things in your little cubby spaces, especially for the rear 1/4's if you don't have any armor there....especially on a 2 door. Other than that, it looks good. Instead of wing nuts, maybe try Camlocks? might be a bit quicker in getting those panels off.

I eventually want to build a sliding drawer setup much like is sold for $600+ to put in the back end. Mount the spare on top of that, keep tools and parts in the drawers. However I really like your design also, very clean and inventive.

Thanks for the compliments.

Just snapped a few more pics....
Here is the carriage bolt that holds my hi-lift

Hi-lift installed.Looks like the base of it will hold the door shut.

it tucks in really nice and doesn't hardly eat up any space.

Hillbilly airconditioning!!!From the angle of the pic it looks like it will interfere with passengers,but it doesn't.

Last edited:
Camlocks are fasteners that make about a half a turn to hold secure. We have them all over our aircraft. Make for quicker inspections behind panels.

Here is a pic of one.
titel_schnell.jpg

Back