• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke My Hood Release

bleech1

NAXJA Forum User
My hood release lever under the dash on my '90 pulled out (cable broke). Anyone have an online source for a new cable? Is it an easy install? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

I was expecting a two-part question here.

1. Where's a good source for hood release cable?

2. How do I get my hood open?[\B]

Well it was stuck pretty good, and I had a friend pry at the release under the hood with a screwdriver while I yanked on the handle. The handle pulled out and the hood popped. So, now it is open. Any answers to my orginal questions?

It is not an easy install. The cable runs a very inconvenient route. I'll see if I can find a write-up on this somewhere, I know I've seen one, it is not an uncommon problem. I think I remember reading that it is a lot easier to run the new cable if the old cable is sticking out both ends of the sleeve, so you can run a fish wire as you pull out the old cable. I don't know about availability.

The hood latch system in the XJ consists of two latches and strikers, tied together through a bellcrank assembly riveted to the middle of the hood. This, in turn, is attached to the cable assembly that snakes it's way through the firewall to the kickpanel.

I would bet that the cable is corroded, and hence sticky. It MAY be possible to remove the cable assy from the vehicle, and using liberal amounts of oil, PB blaster, etc., work the cable back and forth in it's sheath until is slides easily. Then, lube the bellcrank, and reinstall.

If that fails, your best bet is a NEW cable assy from the dealer. I would bet most cables in XJ's in the boneyards around Albany, NY, will be as rusty as yours. That wintertime salt vapor from the road plays hell on the underhood stuff.....

Back