• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does a 3 to 4 inch lift require swaybar extensions

im pretty sure around 4 inches they start becoming needed. i forced mine to fit back on, but i ended up bending the top of the end link. what i did to fix it, was buy a piece of .5 inch round steel. end link in half, and weld a 3 inch extension in there....done

I'm just about to throw my lift on and I'm just getting the small stuff settled before I run into problems.

I have skyjacker coils

Quadratech hd packs with aal

skyjacker arms

skyjacker shocks

black diamond track bar.

I just bought some BPE's

I bought some pins and clips to make homemade discos.

I also have spacers and shackles on right now and I might put the stock shackles back on then add the longers shackles in the future

I'm going to relocate the front brake lines I think thats necessary, what about the rear lines?

yes you'll need sway bar extensions. youd preferably want quick disconectable ones so that you can take them off when your offroad.

and yes youll want extended front and rear brake lines.

Check out www.jksmfg.com for sawybar disconects

as afar as brake lines, i would have a local shop make them to length or go to a 4wp and get some procrap ones.

Combatcm said:
I'm just about to throw my lift on and I
I bought some pins and clips to make homemade discos.

well there you go... what is your question?
disconects == swaybar extensions

... your not talking about the sway bar drop brackets that come on the cheaper lifts, are you?

swbooking said:
as afar as brake lines, i would have a local shop make them to length or go to a 4wp and get some procrap ones.

or go get some for a 3/4 ton GMC pickup... 7inches longer, and about $15 a piece. They hook up easily, all you need to do is ream out the mounting hole, and bend the hard line slightly. I just did mine today:jester:

xcm said:
OMG a rebel!
nobody tells YOU what to do!

Just saying they really aren't needed much on my XJ. I don't see the point of spending more money on something that doesn't have to be used. I say that because my junk drives pretty stable with them off, but other lifts and combos may not. I'm not sure for other folks. You might try driving for a week or two with them disconnected to see if yours stays stable. I even used the old front sway bar mounting holes on the frame for extra bumper mount points on my homemade bumper.

NOW, after all that, when I bought my heap, it already had around a 3" lift with stock end links. The links were touching the lift springs and wearing the tips off of the links. So mine would've needed extensions with just a 3" life had I decided to keep the swaybars on.

I have no sway bar on the front and I have driven over 300 miles at 70 mph with no problems.

once you get over the fact that it isn't a sports car, you'll be fine. don't take corners too fast.

I haven't used any swaybars since I first lifted it about six months ago... now that it's taller, I'm still not going to. I'm at about 5" of lift.

Twicepardoned said:
I have no sway bar on the front and I have driven over 300 miles at 70 mph with no problems.
did you try avoiding an accident via quick manuvering?

-Kyle

Last edited:
I have 4.5" lift and 32's w/out a swaybar. I drive 70 miles a day on the highway. You don't need the front sway bar.....but I think I'm gonna put it back on:laugh3:
Also check Rough Country for the stainless braided brake lines, Jason will take care of you.

Twicepardoned said:

You guys are crazy. I don't know how people can go driving around without a crucial suspension component. This has been debated so many times and like we always say, sway bars are needed with street-driven coil-sprung suspensions, no matter how stiff or stable your rig is.

back to the topic, 95 YJ rear brake lines are longer and can be used in the back of our xj's (thanks kyle ;) ). The front lines can be dropped some for more length.

muddeprived said:
You guys are crazy. I don't know how people can go driving around without a crucial suspension component. This has been debated so many times and like we always say, sway bars are needed with street-driven coil-sprung suspensions, no matter how stiff or stable your rig is.

back to the topic, 95 YJ rear brake lines are longer and can be used in the back of our xj's (thanks kyle ;) ). The front lines can be dropped some for more length.

not a problem at all:laugh3:

when he says "dropped" he means relocated so you straighten out the hard line and re-attach it straightened. This will provide more room for the soft lines in the front.

-Kyle

Just put a 3" Rough Country on my '96. Didn't need longer brake lines, but I had to relocate where the front ones were mounted. The kit came with extension brackets for the sway bar but I didn't use them and I was still able to use the factory endlinks. I just remove the endlinks when I go wheeling and put them back (sometimes) when I'm done.

muddeprived said:

it used to be that swaybars were an add on, and didn't come stock fom the factory. so taking them off isn't super crazy, it's just not AS safe...:shocked:

Back