• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need advice on new springs

LSMOPARS

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 96 XJ with a 4" trail master kit. I installed about 7 years ago, now its all sagged out, and I need to replace the spings. Its 95% DD so a nice ride would be nice what would you guy recomand any inputwould be great.
:cheers:
Cheers.

Rubicon express are good springs, and I have had good luck with Rusty's(they're made in Canada somewhere) springs as well.

This is a tech section question though.

-Jeremy

RE or DPG Dirk at DPG is a cool guy, hes talked to me about his springs and they seem really well developed. Check them out.

www.dpgoffroad.com

swbooking said:
RE or DPG Dirk at DPG is a cool guy, hes talked to me about his springs and they seem really well developed. Check them out.

www.dpgoffroad.com

Good call on the DPG's. I forgot to mention that I'm running DPG leafs. I've only got a couple trail runs on them, but so far I like them.

-Jeremy

OME springs rock but I don't think you can get them without purchasing a full kit. My rig is my DD and Ive actually had people comment on the ride quality.

if you get wire diameter coil diameter and active coils you could have a set made.

bens spring in portland

i think thats the name of it.

he's the guy that made our rear springs for the buggies.

Personally, I love Old man Emu Springs. You can just buy individual springs, but you have to look around. They're not cheap, but good quality. OME with edelbrock IAS shocks seems to be a great combo!

I have OMEs on my daily, it's a bit stiff, but it's not a bad ride by any means.

Kinda sports car stiff if that makes sense.

Regarding my previuos post on OME springs. They don't offer 4" lift, so Rubicon front coils or ome coils with threaded adjustable coil spacers. I'de rather the rubicon coils with the OME rear leafs, 2" blocks and longer shackels. I use the revolver shackels and my rear flexes more than my buddy's with long arm rear coil. If you want OME individual parts, here's a link

http://4by4connection.com/cherokeexj.html

would you preferre running the DPG rear leaf over doing a 4 link?

or is a 4 link always better

your jeep seems to flex pretty well from pictures i've seen.

i'll eventually end up doing a 4 link but i'm subconciously looking for better leaf springs.

wingnutooa said:
would you preferre running the DPG rear leaf over doing a 4 link?

These two things are not even on the same planet. If you drive your Jeep daily, and like to carry camping gear/parts/tools, then stick with leaf springs. They will handle the weight better, and generally be more stable for eveyday and trail use. 4 links plus good quality coilovers = money. Leaf springs are dependable, don't really need much maintenance, and probably less than 1/4 the cost of a quality 4-link conversion.

If you were building a buggy or a stripped down and trailered XJ, then by all means, link it.

RE, DPG, and even Rusty's sell good spring packs.

-Jeremy

I had that kit on my second XJ, Are you still using the drop down brackets that came with the kit for the lower control arms? that will make difference in what I recommend.

Outdoors said:
I had that kit on my second XJ, Are you still using the drop down brackets that came with the kit for the lower control arms? that will make difference in what I recommend.
yes I am, everything that came with the trail master kit is still on it

Oh yeah... BOR I run their 6" HD leaves. They are a great pack.

LSMOPARS said:
yes I am, everything that came with the trail master kit is still on it
Staying on the cheap side.. front/ springs RE 3.5
Rear/ full add a leaf replacement, I don't like these.
The 3.5 RE springs should get you close to 4"... I would never recommend going over a 3" lift with stock lower control arms.. Come on guys..;-)
But, Since you still have the brackets you can get a way with it to 4" only on the money saving side.

Imo, I would do this if you don't want to go higher and then you get new lower control arms too with the whole kit.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2018&XnPath=173,180,188&Vid=03EF315009157

Good Luck... Btw, the ride will be much better..:) ..

Last edited:
Back