• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with 93 xj Ac conversion

phreaker76

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 xj and I'm trying to convert my r12 to r134a. I bought the kit at Wal-Mart and the valves fit in place but I can't seem to get any freon in the tank. I have already had the r12 pumped out and changed the oil out to ether as well as had the dryer replaced. I thought there may be a little valve inside the threaded area on the r12 thats not being compressed therefore not allowing any gas to go threw. This doesn't seem to be the case though. I have taken the hoses completely off and removed the fittings to get a closer look into the valve fitting to see if I missed something while it was in place. Does anyone have any experience with this? I almost wonder if it would be easier to buy a new compressor off ebay thats already set up for r134. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
did you evacutate the system after replacing the dryer and changing the oil? I would. What compressor do you have? Does it have the little screw thingy's like the earlier ones have to open the charge ports?

System was evacuated. I believe it has the screw things your referring to. There are two on the Right side of the unit facing it from the front of the vehicle. I haven't got a clue on how to use those. Do I need to unscrew them before I can get freon into the tank?

You only should turn out the suction side ( one with the big hose) for recharging. That should allow you to charge the freon into the system. But if they were not open then how did you evacuate the system?

My buddy did the evacuation of the system but he is out of the country as of last friday therefore no one else to reference for info. If he was here I probably would have had all of this done. Thanks for the help.

Back