• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Machining knuckles for Hi-steer

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've been looking more into Hi-steer now for my HP D44 build. I know I could swap over to Chevy knuckles, spindles, and calipers, and use the rest of my ford stuff to maintain the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, but I was wondering if I could just machine the top of my current knuckles a bit, and then drill and tap them. This would save me the money for buying the chevy stuff, and I have free access to machining.

The tops are pretty much flat on the knuckles, and they look like maybe taking a couple ten thousandths off would do the trick. Would there be any problem with doing this? I have a full machine shop where I work and I know I could have some of the guys help me.

Here is the knuckles.
DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

DSC_0586.jpg

You can't flat-top that year knuckle. You need to look for a mid 70's chevy flat top passenger side knuckle. The driver's for all D44, at least chevy's are already flat-topped.

If you need the bolt pattern let me know, I have it in a jpeg.

Ford made flat top knuckles too. They just aren't all that common. I bought mine on ebay. They made a disc brake version and a drum brake version, obviously you want the disc brakte version. Only the driver side is actually drilled, tapped and used by Ford, the passenger knuckle is flat, but you will have to have it drilled and tapped. I did this, and used all Ford parts, my D44 is from a 78 F250.
Oh yeah, don't try machine your knuckles into flattops, there isn't enough material on top, or inside for the bolt threads.

knuckle1-1.jpg

highsteer1.jpg

newsteering1.jpg

Last edited:
Back