• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which winch

I'm in the market to get a winch. I have a 94 XJ with 6 inches of lift, 33 inch tires, 4:56 gears and locker in the rear 8.25 axle. It is a daily driver at the moment, but will again become my toy at the end of the year. I wheel on moderate trails 3+ or 4 in Moab. The winch is just for a back up option.
So here is the question. Should I spend the money (is it worth it) on a Warn winch, or will something like a mile marker or smitty built be fine.

Check out summit racing. They are mile marker (might have been T max, cant remember) winches, but just renamed and alot cheaper.

Last edited:
i have a mile marker 8k on mine, and im extremly happy with it. Only issues i have had was that the bolt that hold the clamp that hold the cable on, just snaped in half the other day while wheeling which cause my cable to unwind itself completely. But then again, the winch is about 3 years old? I say save a little mula and go with the mile marker.

Only thing that i can tell the difference between mile marker and warn, is that the warns tend to spool faster and look cooler haha

I am 100% for T-Max. Good product, excellent customer service.

The Summet racing winches are rebranded T-Max's, and a good price.

hologram said:
Thanks, I was leaning towards the cheaper (off brand) I just wanted some thoughts from you on it.

My t-max pulls about twice as fast as my buddys milemarker, and you can get it for about $60 more.

Haleyes' TMax pulled a YJ out at WF that was stuck enough to require 2 anchor rigs. It never stalled or even got hot. I was impressed. I think he has pics somewhere.

Edit: I love my TMax also, good quality for the price.

hologram said:
I'm in the market to get a winch. I have a 94 XJ with 6 inches of lift, 33 inch tires, 4:56 gears and locker in the rear 8.25 axle. It is a daily driver at the moment, but will again become my toy at the end of the year. I wheel on moderate trails 3+ or 4 in Moab. The winch is just for a back up option.
So here is the question. Should I spend the money (is it worth it) on a Warn winch, or will something like a mile marker or smitty built be fine.

I've had my Ramsey REP for 10 years now.Sure its not the best in the world, nor the fastest, but for occasional use its been great.I've used it to get unstuck in mud in the Sierra's, and also to move big rocks for gold prospecting.Also freed a stuck H2 with it a couple years ago.Its on its third spool of wire, and second fairlead, but the winch itself has held up great since 1998.I paid 400.00 for it new with a hawse.

original.jpg

I pulled a Chry. Sebring out of a muddy ditch with my 9.5ti yesterday without a hiccup. Its worth what I paid for it, as for something else being able to do the same job the same way, I couldn't say, but if you go with Warn it'll always be there for you, no questions.

Back