• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for some imput on my trackbar mods

98XJROKS

NAXJA Forum User
I've shorted my trackbar and moved it up, so it would align parallel with the steering. I started with an RE1660, shortened it, and removed the bend at the axle side.
I was left with a farley steep bend at the frame side and appears vertical.

Driving around the hood last night and noticed some play in the steering. The only place that I can see movement is in upper trackbar. It appears to me that where the bend in the trackbar is, it want to rotate upward a fraction of an inch. I'm thinking this is either A) a slightly worm bolt or B) the angle in so vertical that the trackbar wants to force uppward.

Any thoughts on this?
Here is a picture that I took while I was working on it prior to finishing and driving to illistrate the angle on that bend at the top.

I'm wondering if I should just go with a straight bar?

IMG_0040-1.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

No opinions either way??? I bought some new hardware, I guess I'll try that first, but I only have about a 1000 miles on the lift I can't imagine anything being worn out. I was hoping someone would know if it was a design flaw on my part.

Your steering stabilizer is in a bit of a retarded place, anticipate carnage if you are turned right and compress the front right. (probably a bent drag-link.)

The angle of your trac bar looks awesome. Make sure the tolerances on your bolt holes are pretty tight and you shouldn't have any play when it is all tightened up. Have someone turn the steering wheel side to side while the jeep is on the ground and you are in front watching to see that the axle does not shift.

the bend in the track bar is causing the rotation and you need to move that steering stabilizer to be in the same plane as the rod it is dampening

goodburbon said:
Your steering stabilizer is in a bit of a retarded place, anticipate carnage if you are turned right and compress the front right. (probably a bent drag-link.)

The angle of your trac bar looks awesome. Make sure the tolerances on your bolt holes are pretty tight and you shouldn't have any play when it is all tightened up. Have someone turn the steering wheel side to side while the jeep is on the ground and you are in front watching to see that the axle does not shift.[/quote

I figured someone would comment on the shock. Like I say, this is way before I had it all together and tried it out. I was replacing the shock anyway, so I had it lifted up out of the way.
This isn't the best picture, but this is what it looks like as it sits now.

IMG_0045.jpg

Last edited:
Sponge Bob said:
the bend in the track bar is causing the rotation and you need to move that steering stabilizer to be in the same plane as the rod it is dampening

This is what I highly suspected. So, common sense tells me that I need to cut and splice into it again? Damn, I don't know how much I can shorten that bitch before it's too short! I'm at 29" now which seems just right.....Thanks I'll update when I get ur' done!

Last edited:
I have used a torch to fix my RE track bar before you could try that. Or find a local stock car builder to find the material to build a new one.

Sponge Bob said:
I have used a torch to fix my RE track bar before you could try that. Or find a local stock car builder to find the material to build a new one.

Already ahead of ya..I called Rock Logic. They carry the DOM that I need. I'm just going to build a new one.

Back