• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear install question

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 xj that I am just starting to build and I have a few questions about gearing. How difficult is it to change the ring and pinion gears(d30/8.25) and install a locker in the rear? The reason I ask is because installing gears seems to be the one thing people tend to have a professional do. I got a quote to do front/rear with lockers for about $3000. I figure I could do front/rear with a rear locker for about $1300. I am mechanically inclined and can follow directions pretty well. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

It recquires a few tools most people dont have, a lot of time, and the patterns need to be correct. I suggest posting up in your chapter forum and see if anyone will teach you.

-Alex

if your patient and have the right tools it is fairly straight forward just takes some time. try to find someone in your area that knows how to set them up and get some help for your first one.

If you have someone who can show you, you can save even more $$ because there are some things some guys gan get by feel versus using some of the special tools. I know a guy that sets them up all the time and the only special tool he uses is a dial indicator.

Harvo said:
If you have someone who can show you, you can save even more $$ because there are some things some guys gan get by feel versus using some of the special tools. I know a guy that sets them up all the time and the only special tool he uses is a dial indicator.

It depends on what type of axle your doing too..

If you want to do it yourself, PM me and I'll walk you through everything. You'll need a dial indicator with a magnetic base, inch-pound torque wrench, press (for the bearings), bearing remover tool (clamshell), and either a set of race drivers or a long brass punch.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I'm just up the road in Sonora. If you have a weekend to burn, bring it up and I'll install them for you (you buy the beer). I could use a little positive karma.

KJ

kj139 said:
If you want to do it yourself, PM me and I'll walk you through everything. You'll need a dial indicator with a magnetic base, inch-pound torque wrench, press (for the bearings), bearing remover tool (clamshell), and either a set of race drivers or a long brass punch.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I'm just up the road in Sonora. If you have a weekend to burn, bring it up and I'll install them for you (you buy the beer). I could use a little positive karma.

KJ

I wouldn't pass that up if I was you.OSUnd like a good deal.

btw, welcome to naxja
unless those are arb/ox front and rear, you would be getting reamed at that price
figure $400 for gears
and $250-$600 for the locker... that leaves close to $2000 in labor?
plenty of good working class jeepers out there willing to help you out, look, one even came to you offering services!

also, what are you regearing to? for what tire size? and what locker?.... out of curiosity

yeah, $3000 seemed a litlte steep, so after reading about it, I figure that I could install the gears myself. I called Randy' ring and pinion and spoke with Jesse and he walked me through everything I needed. I got front/rear 4.56's, master install kits, new carrier up front, and a rear detroit locker. I also got the differntial book they sell which has a lot of info. But I am sure that I will still have some questions. And I wanted to thank all of you who have posted a reply, it is very cool to know that there are people out there who are willing to help... I hope one day I can return the favor. As for my build, I think I am gonna go with the TNT y-link and 35's. I have also just ordered front and rear bumpers and rock rails from Terry at Rigid. I am hoping to get everything together by May so I can take a week off work and put everything on!

how big of a lift did you go with, the 5.5" or 7.5"? I am trying to decide between the two. I am also geeting their unibody stiffeners and probably anything else you guys recommend. What type of shocks are you running?

I have the 5.5" setup and wouldn't go any higher. I trimmed a lot of sheet metal and went with the SlickRock Gear quarterpanels. I really stressed about whether to go with 33's or 35's, thinking the 35's would be way to big but they are absolutely perfect! The picture on my avatar is not with this setup (it's an old picture on a RE 3.5" lift with 33's). My rig looks MUCH better now!

My Jeep has a super low center of gravity (lower than my stock '99 F250) but with a toin of ground clearance. I can climb great, fit down tight skid roads and haul ass and take corners like I have some crazy baja racer. It is a killer setup. I have RE shocks on the back and they are about stock length as I went with the T&T shock mounts that are flush with the tubes (nothing hanging down). I have Full Traction schocks up front, just because I got them super cheap on NAXJA and I heard they are made by Bilstein (so I was told anyway). I also have T&T's U-bolt elim kit (very nice), unibody stiffeners and a front truss.

They are great people who stand by their product and haven;t complained yet even though I called them about a thousand times while I was making up my mind. Also, their kit is unique, as they build in an extra 1.25 inch in the rear to accomodate sag and gear, spare time, etc. Once it is on, the rig sits flush when you have all of your stuff loaded up.

Great stuff. Good luck!

If

hey monster you should keep us posted because I wanna do MY own gears too...

KJ139 if you have any pics of your rig with 35s and some wheel specs I would love to see em thanks

Here are the pictures. This is the first time I have posted any on NAXJA, as I was waiting to finish it (paint, etc). but I am super excited to actually show it off. I just tore off the mirror while wheeling this weekend and did the same with the roof rack a month ago. The pictures show the T&T front truss with the Currie HD steering. The T&T lift and the Uni-body stifferners (hoefully you can see them). Also the SlickRock Gear corners, the T&T U-bolt eliminators and shock mounts (don't hang down). The tires are 35" Cooper Discoverer STT's on steel wheels with 3.75" backspacing.

If anyone every wants to do gears but is not sure about them, PM me. I do all my friends' gears and keep offering to do gears for NAXJA members for free, but to date, nobody has taken me up on it in this forum. If you're too far away, PM me and I'll walk you through it. It really is not a hard job, it just takes time and the patience to keep checking your specs.

KJ

you need someplace to host them like www.photobucket.com. I use Photobucket and it seems to work well.
There a few other places, maybe someone will post those up as well.

Back